PDA

View Full Version : Double trouble

Guamsst
04-06-2014, 02:47
After finding the concentric circle rifle I figure I had done well enough for this weekend. My buddy bought about 50 rifles and decided to head home. Before packing out someone asked to see his type 38 that he had behind the table and as he was trying to price it and hand it over the table he saw the hook safety and quickly put it back. He said he had bought 9 rifles for $1,500 without looking them over and he couldn't believe he had missed it. he was excited that 1 of the rifles had made up for the cost of most of them as the hook safety was also one of the few nice ones. Then as he was packing out he handed me a rifle and said "Put this Type99 over there" I told him it was a Type 38. He told me it was a 99 because "look at the front sight" I replied that it was a late 38 and that's why it had sight ears. He then told me it couldn't be a Type 38 because (as he held his hands out) "Type 38s are THIS LONG, or they are THIS LONG....not (pointing) THAT LONG!" Normally there would not be any argument between us. One of us would quickly point a key feature to end the argument and be done. I picked the rifle up to show him the receiver and when I did, I said (mostly to myself) WHY THE HELL DOES IT LOOK LIKE THIS!? I then started to laugh and asked him if he had any idea what he was buying. I was pretty sure it was a RARE Type 38 Cavalry rifle. I've been hunting one for 6 years and he didn't even know he had it.
Measurements were taken, references were checked, items were traded, an IOU was calculated and now I finally own a Type38 Cavalry rifle.
So, despite an even worse Tulsa show than November I am still heading home with a Concentric Circle rifle, a Type38 Cavalry rifle, a Jap flare pistol holster, a Type 44 Cavalry carbine plus the parts to fix it as well as some good small stuff.
Will try to post some photos this week.

psteinmayer
04-07-2014, 07:01
Ok, so do you have any heirs... and would you like to adopt me??? LOL! That is an amazing find!

Guamsst
04-07-2014, 04:54
No heirs so to speak, but I will have to start looking into a good will. I may leave all the guns to my ex wifes daughter. She is the only one that sees this as more than just a hobby. I plan to live about another 40yrs at a minimum so I hope you are patient.

psteinmayer
04-07-2014, 05:32
Well, I'm 51... so hopefully I'll get another 40 or so myself! I have a few that I have to will to my son, but if he doesn't get his dookies together soon, I may leave them to a nephew of something!

Guamsst
04-07-2014, 05:59
If I ever end up being truly heirless I think I will Will them to some museums. I hate that they can't be seen by the general public on a regular basis.

p246
04-07-2014, 07:41
Nice finds indeed...looking forward to the pictures

Guamsst
04-07-2014, 10:45
My buddy that accidentally bought the cavalry rifle also accidentally bought two SS contract K98 mausers in the correct serial range. Let's just say he was happy at the end of the day. He only had enough cash left to get home but the truck had many thousands of dollars of parts and good guns.....oh and 40 cases of beer....LOL

I haven't even unpacked yet so expect pics tuesday or wednesday.

psteinmayer
04-08-2014, 06:21
Pics of the 40 cases? LOL

Looking forward to seeing your finds! I'm going to the Michigan Antique Arms Show this Saturday. Hopefully, a few nice items will follow me home too, although I don't have any money to have any rifles find my trunk...

Guamsst
04-08-2014, 08:12
Pics of the 40 cases? LOL

Looking forward to seeing your finds! I'm going to the Michigan Antique Arms Show this Saturday. Hopefully, a few nice items will follow me home too, although I don't have any money to have any rifles find my trunk...

That's why I keep going back to Tulsa. A nice concentric circle school rifle with cartouched stock will be $250 while next to it on the rack a near relic grade Type38 or 99 of common production will be $350-$450. Same thing with bayonets $125 for a trainer, $150 for a plain early Nagoya, $75 for a Star K with 98% condition blade. It's like bizzaro world sometimes.

Guamsst
04-08-2014, 02:28
Photos posted in gun talk under "The haul from Tulsa"