PDA

View Full Version : Remington 1903a3 info

usmchog
04-05-2014, 07:49
I just picked up a '43 Remington 03a3 and thought I would post just to see what I might have beyond what I already know about it.

It's all Remington except the bolt body which is S/C
It evidently went through an arsenal inspection at the Rochester Arsenal
I don't believe it was re-built (although I'm a little stumped why the bolt was replaced)
Very few of the inspector's cartouches in front of the trigger guard
Is stamped SS (surplus serviceable) on the stock
I believe this to be the original stock (but open to suggestions)
Upon full disassembly, the insides (wood and metal) are perfect condition
Receiver and barrel park. is perfect and looks original as well
Bolt looks like it was re-park'd over the original bluing
Follower is also park'd (I'm starting to think that someone might have Durocoated these parts

I've attached a couple pics, but if anyone wants to see any other shots or different lighting let me know and I'll try to get those.

I don't necessarily think I have some hidden treasure, but I certainly don't know everything there is to know about these either and am open to any nuggets of info all you experts can pass along.

Thanks2665926660266612666226663

Rick the Librarian
04-06-2014, 05:05
Your rifle was among the last Remington M1903A3s manufactured. You don't provide a lot of information in the pictures.

There was no such thing as "Rochester Arsenal" - if you are referring to the FJA, Frank J. Atwood was the commander of the Rochester Ordnance District, an area which encompassed Remington, Smith-Corona, and other arms plants. If you are referring to an "RA" stamp, that was "Remington Arms".

Try posting some pictures showing more of the "overall" rifle - like from the cocking piece to forward of the receiver on both sides.

usmchog
04-06-2014, 08:10
Sorry for the confusion, I meant Rochester "Ordinance". It was a little late when I posted.
I'll try and get some more pics posted, for some reason the website kept blocking a few of the pics I tried to post. I'll try to get some more posted. Like I previously mentioned, if anybody wants to see a particular pic from a specific angle let me know.

thanks,
andy

John Beard
04-06-2014, 08:54
Your rifle appears arsenal-overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts. The "RA" marking in the stock is the manufacturer's mark signifying Remington Arms.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Jeff L
04-06-2014, 10:32
Looks almost brand new.

usmchog
04-06-2014, 06:12
Not trying to disregard your comment, but it seems odd to me that it could go through all that work and end up with all Remington parts (except the bolt of course). I'm just throwing out thoughts and ideas. I guess I'm trying to overthink this rifles history. Did the DCM mark rifles in any way when they went through their facility? Just curious if it might be worth it to pay the $25 to CMP to check out the history. Am I correct that CMP has all the old DCM records?

usmchog
04-06-2014, 06:17
You should see the inside. Stock and metal are spotless and the barrel is perfect. Rifling's as sharp as brand new and the bore is absolute mirror.

Rick the Librarian
04-06-2014, 07:20
Rifles rebuilt were often restored to near-new condition. I received an M1 Garand from the CMP in 1999. The only "original" part was the receiver; however, the rifle appeared it had just come off the assembly line - looked almost new.

ut1seabee
04-06-2014, 09:22
Not trying to disregard your comment, but it seems odd to me that it could go through all that work and end up with all Remington parts (except the bolt of course). I'm just throwing out thoughts and ideas. I guess I'm trying to overthink this rifles history. Did the DCM mark rifles in any way when they went through their facility? Just curious if it might be worth it to pay the $25 to CMP to check out the history. Am I correct that CMP has all the old DCM records? The parts may indeed be Remington,but appear to be refinished.JB or Rick can certainly indicate specifics as to your
rifle.Aside from that,you have a fine looking rifle.

Major Tom
04-07-2014, 08:10
Anyways, very nice rifle!

usmchog
04-07-2014, 05:41
Thanks, I can't wait to take it to the range.

oakfarm
04-07-2014, 07:26
Hey,What is the SS on the stock? I have seen this on a Rifle(03-a3)before. P.S.Why didn't anyone ask befofe now? TIA. Lee W.

usmchog
04-07-2014, 07:29
Your rifle was among the last Remington M1903A3s manufactured. You don't provide a lot of information in the pictures.

There was no such thing as "Rochester Arsenal" - if you are referring to the FJA, Frank J. Atwood was the commander of the Rochester Ordnance District, an area which encompassed Remington, Smith-Corona, and other arms plants. If you are referring to an "RA" stamp, that was "Remington Arms".

Try posting some pictures showing more of the "overall" rifle - like from the cocking piece to forward of the receiver on both sides.

Rick,
Here's a couple pics, hope this helps. If the lighting or angle isn't quite right let me know and I'll get them updated.

Thanks

usmchog
04-07-2014, 07:31
Hey,What is the SS on the stock? I have seen this on a Rifle(03-a3)before. P.S.Why didn't anyone ask befofe now? TIA. Lee W.

It stands for "serviceable surplus". If a stock is marked "US", that stands for "unserviceable surplus". SS is always preferred from I've been told.

oakfarm
04-08-2014, 11:00
thank you John. I did not know that.

emmagee1917
04-08-2014, 12:45
Back in the early '60s or so ( before my time , so some little things might be off ) you could buy '03s through the NRA/DCM program . There was two levels of pricing , serviceable and unserviceable . The stocks would be stamped "SS" and "US" as said above . They all came from the same racks , so to speak . The "SS" rifles were actually inspected before being shipped , ergo the higher cost . The next rifle in line could be going to fill a "US" order , and could be in better , the same , or worse shape than the "SS" pulled before it.
Chris

oakfarm
04-08-2014, 05:38
would you say these Rifles are pre-CMP,DCM sales? Tia. Lee W.

emmagee1917
04-09-2014, 12:27
The CMP did not exist till 1996 , so yes there . The DCM was formed in 1903 , so no there . At the time of this , the DCM was run by the army , and the NRA was involved in this , too .
My main point was that " US" rifles came from the same storage and were prob'ly in the same condition as the " SS" rifles but were not checked to be sure before shipment .
After 40-50 years now , the point is prob'ly moot .
Chris

04-17-2014, 08:16
Your rifle appears arsenal-overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts. The "RA" marking in the stock is the manufacturer's mark signifying Remington Arms.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

I know little about the 03-A3 from a collecting standpoint but I do believe original Remington rifles had a parkerized barrel and receiver and other parts, including bolt, were a dark finish somewhat like a dark bluing. Also I see no rebuild markings on this rifle. What do you see that makes you say that it "appears arsenal-overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts" ????

chuckindenver
04-18-2014, 10:18
the first pictures shows a rifle thats all parkerized. it has been over hauled at least once.

John Beard
04-18-2014, 02:38
I know little about the 03-A3 from a collecting standpoint but I do believe original Remington rifles had a parkerized barrel and receiver and other parts, including bolt, were a dark finish somewhat like a dark bluing. Also I see no rebuild markings on this rifle. What do you see that makes you say that it "appears arsenal-overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts" ????

Your statements about original finish are correct. Now look closely at the first pictures. The bolt and trigger guard are parkerized, i.e., refinished. And if the rifle has refinished parts on it, then it has been overhauled and re-assembled from mixed parts.

J.B.

04-20-2014, 04:23
Thanks John, took a closer look at the photos and see what you are saying. As I said I don't know much in regards to the 03-A3 from a collectors viewpoint. I purchased my one and only 03-A3 in 1965, a Smith Corona and sold it in 1996. When purchased I was not a collector and it was for target shooting. In any case, since I sold it I have been wanting another . As I mainly collect the M1 Garand I really can't afford to get to involved in collecting 03's so decided I would try and get one good example. The rifle I bought is a Remington ser. # 4180906. Rifle shows little if any use and has a MW of < 1. From the Remington association of America web page I see it is a late rifle produced in about Jan. 1944. I have examined the rifle but have not taken it apart except to remove bolt, firing pin and the butt plate. All parts but two have the "R" marking where expected. Also only the receiver, barrel and safety are parkerized, the rest of the parts are blue/black, with the exception of the trigger guard which I will get to. I do not know about other parts that I would have to disassemble the rifle further to see. The two parts not marked with the "R" are the rear sling swivel and the parkerized triggerguard. The rear sling swivel is blue/black and the same, as to finish, as the stacking swivel and upper sling swivel. I am not sure just where the trigger guard is marked and if the "R" would be visible without removing same. But the problem is it appears to be parkerized, certainly not a blue/black finish.
My question is, any chance that in late production Remington may have installed a parkerized trigger guard and /or an unmarked lower sling swivel ???
I just can't figure why, on what appears to be an otherwise unmolested rifle, the triggerguard and a rear swivel would have been changed.
Any information you could supply would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/joewill421/Remington%2003-A3%204180906/IMG_4715_zps8ec7544c.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/joewill421/Remington%2003-A3%204180906/IMG_4714_zps8565eedb.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/joewill421/Remington%2003-A3%204180906/IMG_4697_zpsf23883da.jpg

John Beard
04-20-2014, 05:05
My question is, any chance that in late production Remington may have installed a parkerized trigger guard and /or an unmarked lower sling swivel ???
I just can't figure why, on what appears to be an otherwise unmolested rifle, the triggerguard and a rear swivel would have been changed.
Any information you could supply would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe

The trigger guard on your rifle is indeed a Remington trigger guard. The statistical odds that the parkerized finish on your rifle's trigger guard originated at the Remington factory are extraordinarily small. In other words, I have never seen one.

The correct butt swivel on your rifle would be marked "RS" in small letters. And it would have a blue finish. Late Remington butt swivels were not marked "R".

Hope this helps.

J.B.

p.s.,

The safety lock correctly has a parkerized finish.

04-20-2014, 06:16
Thanks John, every bit helps. Think I will just leave it as I got it. I learned from collecting the M1 Garand "never say never". Years ago I changed out an SA bolt that was in a 4.60 IHC rifle I had gotten from DCM. Found out from Dave McClain years latter that the SA bolt may have, in fact, been original to an IHC in that serial range. Unfortunately the SA bolt was long gone by that time.