PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island bolt question

Jkibler2
04-05-2014, 11:11
Hello again, I posted last week about an SA 03 I have and here is another question. Also in my possession is an RIA serial number 6999. Has a 5/17 barrel with a 2 screw stock marked RI on the tip. I believe the bolt is an early RI because it isn't marked anywhere. There is an additional larger gas hole on the bottom and I was wondering what time frame this would have been done. Thank You.

Rick the Librarian
04-05-2014, 11:12
As I understand it, very early Springfield bolts were not marked, as well.

Jkibler2
04-05-2014, 11:17
The barrel is an RIA also. Possibly just reworked for WW1, because there is a faint what looks like an AA over RIA cartouche on it.

fguffey
04-06-2014, 05:19
http://www.vishooter.net/slc15_2008.html

What is the gap between the front of the rear receiver ring and rear of the third lug?

Is the handle straight or is the handle have a slightly bent back,

F. Guffey

Rick the Librarian
04-06-2014, 06:25
Can you post a picture of the "AA/RIA" inspection stamp - it must be something else, and in any case, it would have been for post-WWI or WWII.

Jkibler2
04-06-2014, 07:15
Rick, the cartouche can only be seen with an eye loupe. It is very faint. As to the bolt, it is a straight handle with only a small punch mark under the handle. I tried taking pictures of it, but they didn't come out very good.

Rick the Librarian
04-06-2014, 07:22
The inspection stamp may be, FK/RIA or EB/RIA, which date to WWII or after. I don't believe any other Rock Island inspection stamps had the "RIA" on the bottom of the stamp, although I'd have to check for sure.

Jkibler2
04-06-2014, 07:46
As to F. Guffeys question, I am not sure of what he means.

John Beard
04-06-2014, 08:42
The earliest RIA bolts have a small "S" stamped on the back of the handle. Other early RIA bolts are unmarked, except for having a tiny serifed subinspection letter stamped underneath the handle. The extra gas escape hole in your bolt was added during overhaul at Springfield Armory circa 1938.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Jkibler2
04-06-2014, 09:40
I do have Col. Brophys book but it helps a lot to get other opinions. Thanx a lot for the help.

fguffey
04-09-2014, 07:22
As to F. Guffey's question, I am not sure of what he means.

Jkibler2, I get that a lot, thank you.

There is a gap, it went unnoticed for years, and years upon years and then I got in with some master machinist, smith and builders. They started telling me about head space, they used phrases like "when cutting a chamber you must check often" "You never know where you are or how closed you are to finishing", etc., etc., Then they started to explain how I should check head space.

Point? I took an 03 and an 03A3 and checked the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face with a minimum length/full length new over the counter factory box Remington ammo. I then checked the length of the chamber with a go gage, According to their instructions the bolt closed, following their instructions, that was it. The bolt closed on a go-gage and no one knew the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face, the only conclusion that could be determined was the chamber was at least go-gage length. My opinion that little bit of information was somewhere near 'nice to know'.

'THE GAP' between the front rear receiver ring and the rear of the third lug can be measured by something that is foreign to reloaders, the feeler gage. I pull the bolt back to seat the lugs then measure the gap, I then chamber a new minimum length/full length sized case and push the bolt forward, then measure the gap again. The difference between the two measurements when added to the length of the case from the shoulder to the head of the case is the length of the chamber from the shoulder/datum to the bolt face.

When sizing cases for my trashy old chambers I transfer the measurement to my press, die and shell holder. I transfer the measurement with a feeler gage. I then informed them I could measure the length of the 30/06 chamber with a 280 Remington case, I also informed them I could modify a go-gage to a go to infinity gage. That gage takes care of go-gage length, no go-gage length and field reject length and every length in between, 'gotta' love those old guys, they ask "HOW?"

And I have arsenal bolts, there is not much that can not be done with one of those, I exaggerate, there is a big problem with convening anyone on a reloading forum they exist.

F. Guffey