PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Lee Enfield Trainer

Smokeeaterpilot
04-04-2014, 07:37
Hey Guys, been meaning to do more research on this gun I've had in my safe for years. I've had it since 1996 (it was a Christmas gift from my mom, I was 11 at the time haha). I've never fired it, I got sucked into collecting U.S. Arms in the past several years, so this has been on the back burner.

I know almost nothing about it. I know it was purchased for $500 in the mid 90's. I can't find an import mark on it (not saying its not import marked, I'm just saying I can't find any and I'm looking in all the usual places you find them on the Lee Enfields). It's never been fired. I've just taken it out to oil it once and a while. Looks to be a 1943 Lithgow.

But I'm trying to find out whatever I can about it, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll leave it up to the jury. I haven't seen one ever in this condition just some older war horses once and a while on Gunbroker or Samco.

I tried to get all the pictures the best my phone can provide of all the markings and cartouches. I can get more if necessary.

Any ideas of value (I have no desire to sell it I'm just curious if it's worth at least the $500 of the original price) or helpful information.

Thanks,
Andrew

Smokeeaterpilot
04-04-2014, 07:38
More pictures

mack
04-04-2014, 09:38
These rifles were imported by John Jovino, a New York gun operation that sells police firearms in that city. They came Oz and bear Lithgow marks but apparently not serials from that arsenal, so they are likely leftover or surplus parts or firearms. Jovino made up nice looking rifles and they definitely are worth their purchase price, although I got my two for about $300 each some years earlier. Keep it or sell it, you will do alright either way.

M1Garandy
04-05-2014, 06:59
You called this a trainer in the thread title. What caliber is it in, .303 or .22?

JB White
04-05-2014, 09:14
While it looks like a possible Jovino parts gun, there is another way to tell. What is the serial number? Jovino did build up a lot of Lithgow rifles from all the leftover parts at Lithgow, but he imported more legit rifles than he built. The import mark of JJCO would be very very small on the receiver, often found along the wood line.
The alpha-numeric serial number should not have a G prefix or higher, nor should it have any kind of letter suffix. Those are a couple of the keys Jovino used to identify one of theirs.

Now, while there is a possibility of it being a parts gun it does not mean it's worthless. They still have value as shooters and are actually somewhat desireable as that. Also, back when it was purchased there was a TON of original NOS coachwood on the market. Many rifles were restocked with that at the time.
Before going any further, do not shoot this rifle until you know for certain the copper recoil blocks have been properly installed inside the forend at the draws. Lacking these blocks and the proper torque on the king screw has caused many forends to split open upon firing....and forends aren't easy to find nor cheap as the were back in the mid-90's.
There is a lot involved as far as typing goes, so let's do it one step at a time?

And a few warnings to new users.....

Tip: If taking the rifle apart, always remove the forend first prior to turning the buttstock screw.
Tip #2: Never tilt a forend downward off the receiver when disassembling. It comes off straight downward and there are methods for getting them "unstuck" if they are.
Tip #3. Triggerguard removal requires loosening the king screw before attempting to turn the rear TG screw.

John Sukey
04-05-2014, 10:02
If t's a trainer, it sure as heck is a .22. I would have no problem firing it

JB White
04-05-2014, 12:57
If t's a trainer, it sure as heck is a .22. I would have no problem firing it

On that point, I'm in 100% agreement!

Smokeeaterpilot
04-07-2014, 11:05
Alright, I will be posting more pictures of the s/n and look harder for the import mark. More to follow...

Smokeeaterpilot
04-09-2014, 07:05
Let's start with the basics. Serial Number is T1561

I can't find the import mark. I found what may be the import mark upon the wood line but it's not legible. Too faint to read.