PDA

View Full Version : I screwed up.

Guamsst
04-04-2014, 05:10
My tax return didn't come in so I only had about $1,000 cash for Tulsa. If you have ever been to Tulsa you know $1,000 doesn't go very far. I decided I would not buy any guns this time, just small stuff I can make money on later.

As I was walking the aisles I heard two guys discussing an Arisaka and I could tell they were confused. I asked what they wanted to know and they said it had stock markings which was normal for training rifles but it looked like a real rifle. It had a pair of nice cartouches to the stock and I told them it was probably a school rifle and they should look at the receiver. They rolled it over and I about lost it. It was a concentric circle school rifle with Trapezoid rear sight. Also had an original cleaning rod. They had absolutely no interest in the receiver markings and I shut off the flow of information at "School rifle". They put it back on the rack and walked off. I grabbed it and looked at the price tag....made the deal and walked off with the rifle for $250. I broke my rule and I really don't feel bad about it.....LOL

It is in good condition and with all the serious collectors at Tulsa I am always surprised by the common Arisakas at $400+ and the super rare stuff sitting on the rack at $200-$250.

Last show there was a Naval special training rifle in great shape on an end cap near the north Entrance....$200 You better bet I bought that one too.

dave
04-05-2014, 05:22
I once had a chance at a matched 44 carbine with the mum overstamed with the 3-concentric rings @ 450 and walked. Some time later I went back and it was gone!

psteinmayer
04-05-2014, 06:12
Sounds like you made out like the proverbial bandit Guam... Well Done! Now let's see some pictures!

Guamsst
04-05-2014, 07:08
Pics will have to wait. I didn't bring my camera and my phone takes terrible closeups.

I bought a bunch of slings, belts and lanyards at 3 for $20. I just tossed everything that looked decent into a bag without looking too closely. When I checked them later one of the US Leather slings is 1918 dated and shows age. Also the Repro Jap revolver lanyard appears to be original. I will black light test it when I get home. Those two will completely change my profit margin.