PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 51M(b) reassembly

harrisd27
04-02-2014, 05:25
Guys, took apart a really grungy 51(b) to clean a few weeks ago. unfortunately work prevented me from getting back to the cleaning project in a timely manner. I cannot remember the assembly for the trigger group especially the placement of the small single wire spring. does anyone have an exploded view diagram of the 51M(b)?

da gimp
04-02-2014, 09:09
on the Guntalk board here, about 7 posts down from the top, doug put a link to a site with a huge number of factory takedown manuals that you can access.................. I'd sure look over there & see if it isn't........... or at least a similar version by the same maker at least.................a lot of times makers had commercial models & military models of the same rifle........ with the sporter version being a little prettier.

dave
04-02-2014, 11:46
No 51M's used by the military, and I am not aware of a (b) model having been made. While production list's say these were made from 1939 to 1945, Moss. was into full military production by 1942 so no civilian rifles were made until 1946. Any sold post war were left over pre-war production.
Are you sure it is not a 151M? The parts are different between the two and assembly may be also.
Go to rimfirecentral on Gun Boards, those guys will gladly post pics and guide you thru the job. I am unable to post pictures. These rifles were first made in 1938 and 1939 and were made for/sold only by Spiegel Mail Order in Chicago (M51 & 51M). Moss. cataloged them in 1940 (51M).

harrisd27
04-04-2014, 11:46
The barrel is marked Mossberg Model 51M(b) and the bakelite trigger guard has a 1938 date on it.

dave
04-05-2014, 10:03
Just checked my collection and I have a 51M (a), so they do exist, I even forget what I have! I was thinking of the very early ones with a flat back reciever. The (a) and your (b) has a cone shape at back.

harrisd27
04-07-2014, 10:50
Dave,
I am sure the trigger's and spring and the sear assembly on the bottom of the barrel are the same. I think the only difference is the shape of the back of receiver. any chance you could snap a picture of both sides of the sear as it is assembled on the rifle barrel and then down into the stock showing the trigger spring placement? this is not my gun and I would like to re assemble it and get it back to the guy I am cleaning it for. Believe me I just learned a good lesson when working or taking apart an unfamiliar gun take pics and draw diagrams etc... ! LOL you can PM me the pics if your willing and able. thanks for any help you can provide.

dave
04-07-2014, 11:16
Sorry but I cannot even upload pics to the computer. Did you go to Rimfirecentral as I suggested? Those guys can and will help. Just introduce your self and ask away, on the Moss. forum. Registration is easy and free.
Those small letters (a), (b) indicate a change in the rifle, I have no info on what all such changes were, so may or may not affect what you are doing.

harrisd27
04-07-2014, 02:56
will do dave, thanks