PDA

View Full Version : Got the 1902 rear and new front sights zeroed today

Pentz
03-31-2014, 09:10
Finally, a day in the Northwet when the targets were not peeling off the backers. Had 14.5" of rain at my house this month at 300 ft. amsl; our range is at 1200' wetter. That's an average of nearly .5 inch per day.

I got the 1902 rear sight installed on my 1896; a new front sight was filed from a tab of brass strip. I filed the tab to about .065 wide for the top and stepped the base down to fit within the sight base. It was left intentionally high to file for zero at the range. The width of the front sight blade equals the width MR31/52 bulls, to my eye at least. Now I can get a decent sight picture. Took me about an hour of filing and fit-to-try before drilling the hole. The profile is conventional issue.

Today I ran 65 rounds of 202 gr. 311299 lubed with Bens Red over 16/2400 sighting it in. The lube works great and I had no problems with it. The bullets were seated into the rifling with a slight push at closing of the bolt.

Shoot and file, shoot and file, a lick at a time when it got close to elevation. Some old Alumablack darkened the brass front, works really well. With the rear sight set all the way back it is now zero'd at 100 yards, keeping 9 of 10 rounds within the MR31 8 ring. The 200 yard setting is two of the fine notches under the 300 yard setting, keeping all 10 within the 8 ring of the MR52. Boy, is that windage adjustment ever great! Once zeroed for 100 it was right on for 200 as well.

The rifle wants to shoot, if I can keep my 66 yr. old eyes from fading out. Our monthly match is this Wednesday. We shall see. I'll report if the scores are decent.

madsenshooter
04-01-2014, 12:13
I've been doing a little of the same thing myself. My taller than standard front blade is .070 wide and I'm using an 1898 sight that already had the center sighting notch cut into a V and the outer notches milled off. I haven't got the zero for the cast spitzer bullets I'm trying to use as of yet. The range I go to has one bench and meddlesome people keep showing up, doesn't anyone work anymore? Anyway, I don't want to make them wait while I file on the sight or otherwise piddle around, but I'm working my way to getting it sighted.

Dick Hosmer
04-01-2014, 07:22
Bob, for being such an avid shooter, and handy with tools, have you ever considered making a portable bench? I've seen plans for some pretty clever ones over the years. BYOB and you can piddle all day!

jon_norstog
04-01-2014, 09:15
Pentz,

Where are you shooting? I just moved to Portland and am looking for a range to call home.

jn

Pentz
04-01-2014, 10:01
Jon, better move over the river to the "Free" side! Most folks on your side go to Tri-County out of Sherwood http://www.tcgc.org/. I am a member and RSO at Clark Rifles 12 miles NE of Vancouver. We have one sight-in range, a 25-100 yd range, a 7-50 yd. handgun range, and a 100-300 range. All with covered and enclosed firing points, concrete benches and hot-water johns. We are capped at 700 members, with a 5-yr waiting list. The range is open to the public for rifle only on Sundays, $20 flat range fee, we sell targets only. If you come as my guest it's $5 and we can shoot any day. http://clarkrifles.com/
Give me a call sometime and we can go shoot. I will PM you.

madsenshooter
04-01-2014, 12:51
Bob, for being such an avid shooter, and handy with tools, have you ever considered making a portable bench? I've seen plans for some pretty clever ones over the years. BYOB and you can piddle all day!

That'd be the way for me to go Dick. I'd settle for a place I could set up a target at 100yds and use the top of my car as a bench. I'd be closer to simulating the standing position that way. Only problem with that idea is drawing the attention of game wardens or others saying I shouldn't be shooting there. I haven't read any law saying "Thou shalt shoot only at certified ranges" though.

BuckeyeShooter
04-02-2014, 06:21
Pentz, Sounds great. Waiting for retirement here. Still waiting for the nice warmer days to coincide with a weekend here. Was 70 yesterday, but it was Tuesday dangit.

Two years seven months and counting.