PDA

View Full Version : DPMS Gen II .308

Major Tom
03-26-2014, 05:13
Looks like a good rifle. Anyone handled one yet?

joem
03-26-2014, 10:46
I have two but I don't know if there are Gen II or not. Both are well made and accurate. The classic with a 20" barrel is on the heavy side but it is very accurate. The 16" handles better with a adjustable stock.

jgrabow6493
06-11-2014, 07:02
I have one in 338 Federal but I don't know which Generation. The only issue is the Trigger, it sucks. I will replace the trigger as soon as I can find one.

Dienekes
06-20-2014, 07:19
Just bought a S&W M&P 10 very recently, after two years of watchful waiting. Can't use M1 or M1A irons any more and I wasn't satisfied with the available mounts for optics for them. The flattop AR makes that easy, and the big Smith with a compact scope and loaded 20 round mag comes in at 10 pounds, 6 ounces.

Have had the rifle out briefly three times with 168 grain match handloads getting a good 300 yard zero on it. Yesterday I fired one round off a ruck at 300 yards, went up to see my strike, then went back and fired three more rounds to confirm. All four rounds went nicely into 2". So it shoots.

The trigger is 6.5 pounds, but the best factory AR trigger I have ever experienced. I was expecting to put in a Geiselle as a matter of course, but not sure it's really necessary. Recoil is mild even in shirtsleeves. Fit and finish are very good. Function is fine.

The only minor quirk is very tight headspace. Initially I had to lightly "mortar" unfired rounds out of the chamber, to include new Lake City rounds; same with my in-spec handloads that my M1A loves. The front of two locking lugs had brass smears from the case heads, and the case heads showed some striations from bolt rotation; but that has eased with some firing. I suspect that the tightness will go away shortly as things wear in. Fired cases fall in and out of the case gauge.

Suffice it to say that I think I am really going to like this rifle.

Former Cav
07-10-2014, 07:54
I have an AR-15 with a TIGHT chamber like that. I moved my sizing die down, even went and bought a "small base sizing die"
that solved alll the problems.

C5M1
02-28-2015, 09:37
Bought a G2 couple months ago. Overall very impressed for the price. If G2 it will be stamped so on the side of lower receiver above serial no.

Few minor dislikes; the dust cover does not open all the way unless the bolt is cycled open and closed, a little careful stoning should remedy that, not worried. The front sight base is canted to the left a tad bit, but not visibly notable. The issue came to light while sighting in with the issue open sights, having to crank the rear sight left of center about 10 min. Scoped the rifle and removed rear sight for a 1 1/2 oz weight savings, will remove front sight for a further (approx. 3-4 oz.) weight savings.

Likes; weight, out of the box 7 lb 6 oz. Removing a few unessential parts should weigh in a little over 6 3/4 lbs.
Was hoping to get it down to 6 1/2 lbs, but think the muzzle break will stay seeing it works so well.

The upper to lower fit is better than any AR I've owned. It could not be any tighter than it is. Accuracy so far looks very promising. Just put about 20 rounds since it was scoped. ( slipped on ice 6 weeks ago so won't be doing much till back heals up.) Expect it to do well with handloads. Trigger is better than the average AR trigger, about 7-8 lbs with a little drag. good enough for hunting. Bought a couple Magpul mags and after modifying the follower they work well.

Aluminum riser with high rings topped off with an 8 oz 6x compact leupold bring the empty weight up to 7 1/2 lbs. Add ten round magpul mag with 6 rds brings it up another 10 oz. About the same weight as my 16in. 6.8spc with 20 rd mag.

The over sized firing pin hole issue has been addressed by DPMS. Chamber tighter than all previous 308's, not an issue with full length sizing.

Hope this helps and regards, dennis