PDA

View Full Version : Question on straight handle bolt German Mauser

Lenny
03-24-2014, 05:14
I found a vendor online selling "shooter grade" German Mausers with straight bolt handles and am considering a purchase. They suggest they may have had GEW98 bolts added @ refurbishment. They also state no import markings, not all matching parts. Any thoughts?

Brad in Idaho
03-24-2014, 06:12
Do they say what model they are? Mismatched parts aren't really a problem on a "shooter grade" rifle as long as they are all compatible. Swapping bolts can be a problem if the rifles aren't checked for headspace afterward. Can you give more information?

Lenny
03-24-2014, 06:17
Sorry should have included that says to be K98

Brad in Idaho
03-25-2014, 10:36
K98's had turned down bolts. I don't think any were made with straight bolts. If you just want a shooter that'd probably be OK. I wouldn't shoot one until I checked headspace though. I'm curious where these rifles came from if they're not import marked and who "refurbished" them.

Lenny
03-25-2014, 04:27
These rifles are for sale at Widener's was not sure if it was acceptable to mention a dealer here by name. They say guaranteed satisfaction, but then again doesn't everyone! Anyone had any dealings with them? Correction: rechecked web site these ARE import marked my mistake so sorry

dave
03-26-2014, 05:29
May be RC's, the only ones being imported now that I am aware of. The Russians did not always use original parts during rebuild and Germans had a habit of getting rid of bolts when captured. Many were probably lost in the mud. The Romanians had large number of troops in Russia (a whole Army was captured at Stalingrad by the Russians) and used straight bolt VZ-24's.