PDA

View Full Version : M1903 Fabric Chart

CPC
03-24-2014, 01:31
Does anyone know when the detailed Small Arms Division M1903 colored fabric charts for rifle and bayonet were produced? I have seen later copies of M1903A1, etc., produced by Nicolaus Associates, etc., but I am interested to find out when the M1903 was produced. My guess is between 1919 (date of bullets, FA 19) and WWII. I have not been able to find other examples listed in books or on the web. They are very detailed.
Regards,
CC

CPC
03-25-2014, 12:31
I added a few more pictures. The size is approx. 36.5x26.5 inches

Jeff L
03-25-2014, 12:42
Neat! So it's paper with a fabric back or is it coated fabric?

Darreld Walton
03-25-2014, 08:32
Looks to me like 'pages' from one of the old roll down world and US maps that used to hang above the chalk boards in grade school years ago. Cool stuff, for certain.

CPC
03-26-2014, 07:47
I just examined the tear at the bottom again and it is a paper adhered to a thin fabric. My guess is it would be referred to as linen backed lithography. It is not a heavy oil cloth used in some instruction sheets, etc. It feels more like paper (dollar bill), yet on the edge you can see the strands of fabric separating were it is damaged. On the back side on the corner in small pencil print it says, For Capt M. J. Demxxxx( Dempsey/downey?) 101st Infantry.. not sure on the second initial.

Jim in Salt Lake
03-26-2014, 10:02
That chart would sure look good in a frame hanging in my gun room. I'm going to keep my eyes open for one.

PhillipM
03-26-2014, 10:30
I bought one of those off our classifieds here and wondered the same thing. The only clue I can see is that the rifle is the later designation M1903 instead of Model of 1903. I don't know when the M*** system replaced Model of *** though.

Lee T.
03-30-2014, 12:30
CC,
I have a nearly identical training chart for the 1903 A1 the difference being it has the newly designated C stock. It's dated 1938, also linen-backed, and has many thumbtack holes in the corners. Hand colored, colors and views are the same as yours, and someone has penciled in the drawing numbers along the with the part names which is pretty cool. It's well used......you can imagine how many WWII recruits learned their rifle nomeclature from it.

CPC
04-02-2014, 11:01
Lee T.
Great chart. That is the chart that I have seen copies of. Mine could be a little older. I only suspect that because I was looking in Pyle's Garand book and he uses one of the charts on inside cover. He mentions that there was a series of 8 published in 1938. I note that yours has a item number and is dated. I suspect it is from the same series that Pyle mentions. However, mine does not have a number and is not dated. I wonder if that is coincidence or if it is from an earlier publication. Mine also has a couple of tack holes in the corners.

Regards,
CC