PDA

View Full Version : False alarm

Brad in Idaho
03-19-2014, 12:43
Saw an ad in our local paper for an Argentine Mauser in excellent condition for $200. Talked to the guy and he said it was a Model 91. I asked if it was the long rifle or the carbine, he said "carbine". Beat feet over to his place to find a very nice sporterized Model 91. It had a short barrel alright, because it was cut down. Had a commercial front sight, the bolt had been cut, turned down, and re-welded (not the best job), stock was refinished, crest was scrubbed, and it was likely re-blued. Too bad because it had all matching numbers, and had a very nice bore. I thanked him and told him I wanted something still in military configuration. Didn't make an offer on it. I still don't have any mausers in that caliber, and I'm not looking for "just" a shooter so I don't feel too bad about passing on this one. I had high hopes it was a Model 91 carbine. If it was, I'd be playing with it right now.....

Dave in NGA
03-19-2014, 12:58
They're out there and they seem to be more plentiful now than since the 1970's. I found an 'original' 1891 mauser at a gunshop in Atlanta that specializes in 'black' guns. Someone must have used this rifle for a trade- in. With the exception of having a 'scrubbed' Argentine crest, it is a very nice rifle with a perfect bore. The price was $180 plus tax. Seems the younger generation isn't interested in these older classic rifles so they have little value to the 'black' rifle crowd. Likewise I found an Argentine 1891 carbine at the OGCA a couple years ago for $350. The carbine is much harder to locate and I was tickled to get it.

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
03-24-2014, 07:06
Saw an ad in our local paper for an Argentine Mauser in excellent condition for $200. Talked to the guy and he said it was a Model 91. I asked if it was the long rifle or the carbine, he said "carbine". Beat feet over to his place to find a very nice sporterized Model 91. It had a short barrel alright, because it was cut down. Had a commercial front sight, the bolt had been cut, turned down, and re-welded (not the best job), stock was refinished, crest was scrubbed, and it was likely re-blued. Too bad because it had all matching numbers, and had a very nice bore. I thanked him and told him I wanted something still in military configuration. Didn't make an offer on it. I still don't have any mausers in that caliber, and I'm not looking for "just" a shooter so I don't feel too bad about passing on this one. I had high hopes it was a Model 91 carbine. If it was, I'd be playing with it right now.....

Brad,
I have a Mauser M91 Engineer's carbine that I can live without. It is in excellent condition complete with crest. The front sight "ears" were filed down by someone in the past, but it is the only defect I can find. I believe it has all matching numbers, but don't hold me to that one. My memory is going faster than I desire. It once belonged to an infamous murderer (you would recognize the name instantly), but I will only recount that story to the person who buys it. Never buy the story, not even mine. I was not trying to sell it, but you sound as if you want one more so than I do. I only ask that you reimburse me for what I paid. I am old, have no interested heirs, and fully intend to divest myself of my collections within the next year. I prefer to pass things along to collectors who can appreciate them for what they are. If interested, contact me by message.

If this post is out of line for any reason, may the moderator delete it with my blessing.

Jim

Brad in Idaho
03-25-2014, 10:39
Message sent