PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Block ammo,etc. Perspectives please

glindes
03-16-2014, 04:15
Folks: I've been pondering whether or how to shoot father's RB rifle and carbine. Both are alleged ly chambered for a single live round I have that my dial claipers and poor eyes say is 43 Mauser. Neither has manufacturer marks (not anymore...) the rifle has some fragments of a patent date on the tang... My two trys at chamber casts were not useful... I found a half-full (12 of 20) box of 43 Mauser cartridges w/385 gr lead rn bullet, yesterday at a local shop. Made by Dominion; C-I-L. Besides the shoulder being a hair different from the original, they measure identically and fit (rb closes). What's the "poop" on DOMINION? 'Still in Canada? Blackpowder? I scanned the box and saved it in .pdf format; can I insert it in this posting? Besides Buffalo Arms and Old Western Scrounger are there other sources for loaded 43 Mauser (11.15 X 60R)...that have it in stock? Thanks, Geoff in DE

randy langford
03-16-2014, 05:44
The Remington Rolling block was never chambered in the 43 Mauser it was however chambered in the 43 Spanish not the same round. The Spanish uses a smaller dia. bullet .439 while the 43 Mauser uses a .446 dia. bullet the Spanish overall length is shorter too so please proceed with caution just because the block will close doesn't mean its safe. For what it worth I have two Mausers chambered in that round and have three boxes of it good stuff but alas I don't believe the are still around oh and I have a Remington Rolling Block chambered in 7mm Mauser fun gun to shoot! Dominion isn't black powder it is smokeless looks just like Trailboss to me .

mhb
03-16-2014, 07:33
is that they are long gone.
It is true that the .43 Mauser cartridge is not likely the correct one for your RBs.
The Dominion .43 Mauser ammo was loaded with smokeless powder and non-corrosive primers (should say so on the box), BUT... the primers in the stuff I shot were mercuric, and the heads blew off the cases on the first or second shot - be warned!

mhb - Mike

free1954
03-17-2014, 04:43
also chambered in 43 egyptian.

randy langford
03-17-2014, 05:49
also chambered in 43 egyptian.
Thanks I forgot about that one.

joem
03-17-2014, 06:10
I shoot a RB in 11.75 Danish. It took several or quite a few tries to get a chamber cast and longer to figure out how to make brass and get a set of dies. I reload with Trail Boss powder but my brass doesn't last that long.

snakehunter
03-19-2014, 12:32
is that they are long gone.
It is true that the .43 Mauser cartridge is not likely the correct one for your RBs.
The Dominion .43 Mauser ammo was loaded with smokeless powder and non-corrosive primers (should say so on the box), BUT... the primers in the stuff I shot were mercuric, and the heads blew off the cases on the first or second shot - be warned!

mhb - Mike

Same thing happened to me with a 7x57 Rem rolling block I had many years ago.

joem
03-19-2014, 06:02
"... the primers in the stuff I shot were mercuric,".

Since I reload my ammo I don't worry about corrosive primers.

JimF
03-19-2014, 05:02
"... the primers in the stuff I shot were mercuric,".

Since I reload my ammo I don't worry about corrosive primers.

Uhh, Joem. . . .

Mercuric primers and corrosive primers are two different "breed of cats"!

Mercury attacks the brass case . . . EVEN if you wash them thoroughly! Mercury imbeds itself into the brass upon discharge.

Corrosive primers have a "salt" (potassium clorate) base that attacks the barrel (unless it's cleaned pronto).

American ammo hasn't had mercuric primers since about 1898.

Potassium clorate primers went out in 1953 (there were some FA-produced match cartridges in 1955-56 containing the corrosive, FA70 primer).

Winchester also made some corrosive-primed 30-06 match ammo in the early to mid 1950's. --Jim

jaie5070
03-20-2014, 05:43
Most likely a .43 spanish but there is also the .43 reformado. I think it has a slightly larger bullet.
john

RCS
03-23-2014, 08:02
I found a 1902 Remington that had been sporterized, caliber was 7x57mm with a bad bore.
At the time Numrich was still selling heavy oct barrels in 45-70 which I bought and installed.
Also found a nice buttstock too.

Also made a large tang rear sight and with windage. I shot mostly black powder with 500 gr bullets and when the bullets hit the small three inch steel plates at 100 yards, I marked the tang sight ladder

randy langford
03-23-2014, 09:25
Nice project I bought one in 7mm a while back in 7mm Mauser that someone tapped the chamber and muzzle. Yes you read that right to this day I don't know why. They also ground down the hammer and breach block so they could get the tap into the muzzle I guess they didn't know how easy it is to take one apart I only paid $70.00 for it so I found another 7mm barrel on Gunbroker and bought an extractor. The barrel came up short of properly indexing a good thing I simply hand machined ( lots of file work for those who don't know) the shoulder a little at a time to get the proper fit and welded and reshaped the hammer and breach block. Not as nice as what you have done but shoots a 4 inch group to the point of aim at 100 yards.

JimF
03-23-2014, 10:50
Nice project I bought one in 7mm a while back in 7mm Mauser that someone tapped the chamber and muzzle. Yes you read that right to this day I don't know why. . . . .

I'm thinking it was either ABOUT to be . . . or actually WAS . . . . made into a floor lamp! --Jim

RCS
03-23-2014, 11:32
My father bought this from Hunter's Lodge in the mid 50's for around $8, bayonet was another dollar! Action was really rusted and bore was very poor, wood was rot and could not be salvaged. Good winter project ! I cut the barrel at ten inches then bored it out to 1/2 inside diameter, then installed a 22 rim fire barrel blank being turned down to fit the Rem barrel. Made a hard bushing for the rear. Also made the scope blocks and ground down the hammer and made a new extractor.

I squared-up the receiver removing the half dovetails and bent the lower tang. I really do not care for the Remington trigger and made a new trigger and sear - really nice trigger. Stock and fore-end made from a blank of Calf walnut that was a gift

randy langford
03-23-2014, 12:15
I'm thinking it was either ABOUT to be . . . or actually WAS . . . . made into a floor lamp! --Jim
That makes as much sense as anything I could come up with.