PDA

View Full Version : Copper plated bullets

Allen
03-12-2014, 09:28
I'm sure this topic has come up many times but I haven't tried them yet so I'm wondering if any of you have anything good or bad to say about copper plated bullets in high velocity or high energy usage such as the 44 magnum, 223, 308 or such. Does the rifling cut through the copper and cause lead fouling? I'm assuming safe powder charges would be the same as those listed for cast bullets.

joem
03-13-2014, 04:49
I have used a great many in .44 mag, .41 mag, .357 mag and .45ACP. Recovered bullets show that the rifling does cut through the copper plate. I didn't seem to have any problems with leading. I have since switched to hard cast lead which is cheaper. I don't use cast lead or plated in rifle calibers. I did try cast lead in a 8mm but the results were dismal or worse.

psteinmayer
03-13-2014, 05:28
I've been using the Berry's Plated Bullets in my .45 ACP for a while now... and I've not had a problem.

Tuna
03-13-2014, 08:18
Rifles do not do well with plated bullets being driven to high velocity. I have found that if kept around the 1600 fps mark they seem to be OK but any faster then that they are not accurate and in some cases not stable at all. I have also found a big variation between batches of the same bullet in the amount of plating on them.

4F4Nam
03-14-2014, 06:24
I've been using the Berry's Plated Bullets in my .45 ACP for a while now... and I've not had a problem.

This prompts me to ask a question. I have been loading plated .45s and using them in a Glock with no problems thus far. But am I in danger of having the dreaded cast bullet failure with these in my plastic pistol?

Ed

Hefights
03-15-2014, 01:48
http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?43205-Hard-lesson-on-shooting-lead-in-polygonal-rifled-barrel

So there is a thread on this forum that can help answer your question. The problem with polygonal rifling appears to be tendency for leading in the barrel and / or throat. If not cleaned frequently, it will drive pressures too high. In the case of the unfortunate shooter in the other thread, to failure. Note he apparently fired 2000 rd without cleaning, something I would never do with any type of ammo, but thats just me.

I shoot plated all the time in my pistols and see no leading ever. My advice would be to try it in the Glock and monitor the barrel closely, and if necessary clean frequently enough to keep it free from obstruction. I don't think you will have a problem.

Matt Anthony
03-15-2014, 03:05
Plated bullets have been around for some time now. I started shooting Rainer plated bullets in 45 acp and have had excellent performance. When loading, load as if it's a lead bullet, do not use jacketed data. Plated are not hardcast then plated, they appear to be pure lead then plated.
If you must take them apart, the bullet will be ruined.
Most indoor ranges do not allow lead bullets or plated any longer, only jacketed must be used. Some ranges in the upper midwest also require a shooter to purchase ammo from their store if they want to use their range. It's their range, whatever.......
Plated bullets will not cause any leading and fired bullets I have taken from my range show upon impact the plating is completely destroyed leaving exposed lead. This is why indoor ranges don't want them.
Matt

psteinmayer
03-15-2014, 06:21
There is an indoor range near me which requires you purchase their ammo because they want lead free (non lead bullets only). I did this ONCE! I was teaching my wife to shoot in her brand new 357, and she didn't want to wait and go somewhere else, so we purchased the ammo and shot it. The 38 special I purchased turned out to be mix and match reloads in various cases. I saved the brass, and wound up throwing most of it away because it was either cracked, thin, or just very old!

I also took my father's rare Italian Ordnance revolver in 10.4mm. They didn't want me to shoot my ammo (which was FMJ Fiocchi), and insisted I purchase theirs. When I tried to explain that they would have no ammo that would fit, their response was "Let's see if we have something close that will work." Needless to say... I'll NEVER go back there!

4F4Nam
03-15-2014, 05:20
Well, I rarely shoot more than 100 rds in the Glock and I always thoroughly clean after every session. Maybe I will chance it some more..........but it only takes once.

Ed

Hefights
03-15-2014, 05:47
Plated are different than hard cast lead (inside the barrel), so just keep an eye on the bore and you'll be fine.

joem
03-16-2014, 06:04
" their response was "Let's see if we have something close that will work." Needless to say... I'll NEVER go back there!"

I would have asked them how much liability insurance they carry? Then tell them if something ugly happens I expect to own their house and business.

Matt Anthony
03-16-2014, 06:37
The rifling on the Glock tears up the unplated lead which obstructs the barrel, hence, blowup! However, in my opinion, I would not own a Glock anyway because half of owning a gun is it's looks and I think the Glocks are double down ugly! Officers model Colt 1911 is one tough looking pistol and performs the part quite well................Just my opinion............
Matt

4F4Nam
03-16-2014, 08:35
Yeah, Glocks are ugly. So are some Sig' and S&W pistols. I own and love 1911's and S&W revolvers. Also have some Cimarron Arms SA's. (for the cowboy in me) To me it is about diversity I guess?

1 G21+10 mags= 130 rds of .45. Hard to go wrong with that. Unless it blows up!

Ed

Hefights
03-16-2014, 03:07
I have a Glock 19, I really like except I don't like Glock triggers, even after I put in the trigger lightening modification, but the Glocks are good guns. Follow proper procedures and it will not give any trouble.