PDA

View Full Version : Arisaka 99 kind of sad !

randy langford
03-11-2014, 12:00
Picked this type 99 up today given its condition I am thinking of parting it out. The good is the mum is still intact and barrel hasn't been cut and bore is very good. The bad someone broke the bolt handle and rather crudely braised it back on also cut down stock the AA wings are missing and the mono pod was cut off but the mount is still there. SAD !

psteinmayer
03-11-2014, 12:36
Alas Randy... All is not lost! Replacement parts are available! You can graft on a new fore-stock in the same manner as repairing a duffle cut, hiding the splice under the rear barrel band (for an idea, search this forum for the "Duffle Cut Repair" thread to see how I repaired mine). Monopods, bolts, action covers, and other parts are available. As far as the bolt handle goes, my sporter had the bolt cut off and welded back on at a down-turned angle. Even though it's not stock... it works until I can get a replacement.

Otherwise, it's really not all that bad looking. What is the arsenal and series? You can use this chart http://www.gunboards.com/sites/banzai/DataSheets/M99/M99Data.htm#Model_99 to determine the particulars. Not all arsenals made all series, so it's easy to narrow down. For example: Nagoya made series 1 through 12; Toyo Kogyo made series 30 through 37; etc.

Take some close up pictures of the arsenal and series marks, bolt handle, etc. so we can get a better idea of what we're talking about.

Paul

madsenshooter
03-11-2014, 10:33
I have a type 38 carbine that's had the stock cut back like that, but not as far. The barrel wound up free floated, it doesn't even touch the barrel seat, which it still has. It shoots pretty good, good enough that it's going to get a receiver sight and hooded ramp front sight.

randy langford
03-12-2014, 06:00
It was made at Nagoya it is a series 3 serial number is 9421. Oh and price was $75.00.

psteinmayer
03-12-2014, 06:54
A Nagoya Series 3 for that price is amazing... even with the problems! The seller most likely didn't see the value in restoring it. With a full mum, even a barreled receiver is worth more than that! Can you post pictures of the rear sight? I'm not sure a series 3 should have AA wings, but I could be wrong. Also, is the barrel chrome lined?

I have a Toyo Kogyo Series 31 with a full mum and all the bells and whistles (the aforementioned "Duffle Cut"). I also have a Nagoya Series 7 which has been sporterized (the aforementioned turned down bolt handle). Both are amazing shooters!

randy langford
03-12-2014, 08:00
Here is the sight sorry about quality doesn't have wings now but certainly AA sight and a picture of the bolt which I am about to attempt to properly repair.

psteinmayer
03-12-2014, 09:27
Yow! That is one UGLY braze job! You could start by grinding away all of the excess brass... See what's underneath. If the braze will hold with minimum metal, then you might be satisfied with just cleaning it up. Otherwise, grind away all of the brass... and weld anew.

Yes, that is definitely an AA sight. The good news is that it is still a shootable sight even with the wings missing. There's a guy (can't remember his name) who has a ton of stuff for Arisakas. Perhaps he, or some of the others with extra parts will see this post and get in contact with you.

dave
03-12-2014, 12:07
Some tranistion rifles used sights fitted for the wings but the wings were not installed. They did not throw away old parts when things changed, they used them up.

randy langford
03-12-2014, 02:00
Here my newly welded bolt handle not the best in the world but should hold.

psteinmayer
03-12-2014, 03:18
I've seen "Last Ditch" bolts that looked worse. It should work great, and really doesn't look too awful bad, AND preserves the matching numbers too! Well done!

The only difference between the first "Winged" sight, and the 2nd sight version (without wings) is the little mounts on either side below the slide locking tabs. The scale length is the same though, and may have even used the same scale tree. My series 7 Nagoya has the third version, which has a shorter scale tree, but the same slide as the 2nd.

4F4Nam
03-14-2014, 06:50
Dang! That was a really nice stock, too!

Ed

randy langford
03-14-2014, 07:54
Dang! That was a really nice stock, too!

Ed Yes it was !

Richard Turner/Turner Saddlery
03-16-2014, 05:02
Randy:

I agree, sad indeed. I never knew these rifles would be what they are worth today. When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, CA, my Chief Investigator Mike Spain knew I was setting up at So Cal gun shows and wanted me to help him liquidate several rifles he inherited from his father, Sgt John R. Spain Sr. USMC 41-45. One of the rifles was a 99 type rifle with mum intact and the rifle was about 80% with dust cover. I took it to the Great Western Show in 1989 and had a hard time trying to sell it. I was away from the table and my buddy found a buyer, but I had to deliver it to his home in Ventura, since he had already left the show. Delivered it for $110, and then had to drive all the way back to Fallbrook, CA. The real kick in the pants was when I told Mike about it, he laughed about it and said "I would have thought a battlefield pick up would have brought more than that" I then found out that his dad made the landing at Iwo Jima, and took it off a dead Jap. His dad was also standing about 30 feet from the first flag raising prior to Rosenthal's famous photo.

S/F
Richard

randy langford
03-16-2014, 06:01
Richard
That's the way it goes I have decided to part this one out its non matching anyway. This way I can make a few dollars ( to support my habit ) and maybe someone else can put their rifles back in shooting condition. When someone ask me why I like old guns and military ones in particular I tell them the guns are part of history and I never cease to wonder what their role was in history.