PDA

View Full Version : 44 Magnum loaders

Allen
03-09-2014, 09:04
Most all 44 caliber jacketed bullets for the 44 magnum are .429 diameter. Hornady makes jacketed bullets that measure .430. Using 240 grain bullets for a comparison, have any of you noticed any pressure differences using Hornady bullets? If so how much are you reducing on your powder charges?

JohnMOhio
03-13-2014, 11:00
Allen, best way to answer that is to look at the Hornady manual and compare the info there to a manual showing the .429 dia. bullets with same powder. Note also the difference in the firearm they used to develop their information. I have used both sizes in my Desert Eagle and found no difference. However I am conservative in the powder charge, enough for the action to function. I suppose you have a wheel gun so you don't have to take that into consideration. Also, no rifling in the DE.

mikld
03-17-2014, 05:38
I have been loading the .44 Magnum for quite a while and loaded nearly every bullet commercially available until I started casting. The .429" is the "nominal" diameter of the groove diameter of the barrel for handguns (.431" for rifles) as per SAAMI and many/most bullet manufacturers will make their jacketed bullets .429". The .001" larger Hornady will not make enough difference to bother with, unless you're loading to max. and above.

Allen
03-17-2014, 08:31
Thanks for all the reply's. I didn't expect any difference on the Hornady bullets but will procede with caution. I like the Speer reloading manual and go by that one even though their powder charges are conservative. I like to use 24 grains of H110 and a jacketed .429 240 grain bullet. This load shows no signs of excessive pressure (primers not flatened) but is considered a max load by the book. When I load the .430 bullets I will load 3 or 4 rounds with a lesser charge and work up to the 24 grain max load. This is shot through a S&W 29 w/6 1/2" barrel.

mikld
03-18-2014, 11:34
FWIW; a bit of caution. I have a 629-1, circa 1985 that suffered some problems after shooting a lot of heavy loads. I noticed I was having to move my rear sight about every other range session. As it turned out the barrel had twisted to the left (as seen from above) about 3-4 degrees. I could have returned the bbl. to its original position, but figgered the factory would have a perminate fix and sent my "baby" in for repair. I now keep my loads for my 629 low to mid level...

I would use Hornady's manual when shooting Hornady bullets, just because...

mikld
03-18-2014, 11:35
FWIW; a bit of caution. I have a 629-1, circa 1985 that suffered some problems after shooting a lot of heavy loads. I noticed I was having to move my rear sight about every other range session. As it turned out the barrel had twisted to the left (as seen from above) about 3-4 degrees. I could have returned the bbl. to its original position, but figgered the factory would have a perminate fix and sent my "baby" in for repair. I now keep my loads for my 629 low to mid level. I have since read of S&W 29s and 629s "shooting loose" with heavy loads...

I would use Hornady's manual when shooting Hornady bullets, just because...

Allen
03-18-2014, 12:12
Thanks for the caution. I haven't shot ANYTHING the last 19 years due to 12 hour rotating shift work. I am now retired and starting to get a life back what is left of it. I've even got a 50bmg that's never been shot. I have read similar reports like you have mentioned and they were always referred to the stainless models, not that it can't happen to the carbon steel types as well. If it makes any difference mine is a 29-2 I believe from the early 70's with a pinned barrel.

Johnny P
03-19-2014, 06:29
I have a pre Model 29 that I bought used in the early 1960's. Other than a few .44 wadcutters the only bullet I ever used was the Lyman 429421. I started out using 22.5 grains of 2400. After a while I dropped it to 20.0 grains of 2400, then down to 18.0 grains, then to 16 grains, and when I got down to 14.0 grains I was enjoying shooting much more, and was comfortable to shoot more.

Allen
03-19-2014, 09:17
My 29 like all 29's came with the factory target grips which were checkered. After shooting it about 5 times with factory loads you could see the checkering imprint on your hands along with the screw head and the little S&W insignia from the grips. I swapped over to factory S&W target smooth grips and it made all the difference in the world. The smooth grips are highly lacquered and form a suction to the hands I suppose. It can be shot now with no irritation and it looks better.

da gimp
03-20-2014, 11:11
Have always preferred to use Pach Grippers on our S&W model 29, 4"...... almost all the shooting we do with it is with medium .44 Spec velocities, with a Elmer Keith style LSWC Lyman over Unique powder.......... those loads are very comfortable using the Pachy's on it.