PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Major Culver

Matt Anthony
03-07-2014, 02:51
Thanks for all the years you struggled to make sure this website never went away! Rest in Peace!
Matt

SMOKEY
03-07-2014, 04:53
:icon_salut:

Hefights
03-07-2014, 06:29
Sorry to hear that. God Bless the 3rd generation Marine, Silver Star awardee, and co-founder of the Marine Sniper School. Thank you for your exemplary and highly patriotic service to our Nation. Thank you also for founding this outstanding Forum that serves the shooting sports so well.

joem
03-08-2014, 04:28
+1 on all comments. I've learned so very much on this site that I could never thank the Major and Gloria properly. Thank you Major!

ignats
03-08-2014, 08:25
None finer.

da gimp
03-09-2014, 08:57
well said joem.............

Timberwolf
03-20-2014, 03:41
Haven't been on for a bit and come across this sad news.

RIP and thanks for your service and this web site.

Hip's Ax
03-21-2014, 09:11
Oh no......been real busy and just found this. RIP Sir, you will be missed....

Matt Anthony
05-15-2014, 02:42
I started this post as a tribute on the forum for all to say a last goodbye to our friend and founder of CSP. I look at the number of hits on this post since March 7th, and wonder do the people who are reading the forum even know who the Major was? Do they even know what CSP means? Almost 7 thousand hits on the large bore shotgun post, but less than 10 on the Major!
In my opinion this is simply pathetic! People can't even take a moment to thank him for what he has done. Now Gloria has to do it alone! This might take the wind from her sails and could be the demise of CSP. I really am surprized at people today, not just this instance, but overall the selfishness and "it's all about me" attitude. Nothing surprizes me anymore........
Matt

Hip's Ax
05-15-2014, 04:04
I wouldn't be too hard, just how many of the old guard are left? The Major and Glo have not been active on these pages for some years now.

Back in the day when I found this forum they were all over every post and what a delight it was, except of course if you crossed the line and Glo sent you to "Romper Room" LOL.

I have been posting and lurking this forum since 1998 when it was a single room forum. I learned so much and there was a rather small and tight knit crowd then but the knowledge was amazing and shared freely as it still is. I think many forums have members that cycle in and out depending on interest, there are not that many lifers.

I had the pleasure of meeting and spending an hour with Major Culver at Camp Perry the year he was able to borrow and display Dad Farr's M1903. Such good company he was.

The one thing that does stick in my craw a bit is no one talks much about "Culvers Magic Paste" that of course should be kept in a type writer ribbon tin, I see it commercially available now and there is no mention of the Major and even though he did not invent the paste he was the one who made all of us aware of it.

RIP Sir, see you at the firing line in the sky one day. :'(

Matt Anthony
05-18-2014, 03:01
I wouldn't be too hard, just how many of the old guard are left? The Major and Glo have not been active on these pages for some years now.

Back in the day when I found this forum they were all over every post and what a delight it was, except of course if you crossed the line and Glo sent you to "Romper Room" LOL.

I have been posting and lurking this forum since 1998 when it was a single room forum. I learned so much and there was a rather small and tight knit crowd then but the knowledge was amazing and shared freely as it still is. I think many forums have members that cycle in and out depending on interest, there are not that many lifers.

I had the pleasure of meeting and spending an hour with Major Culver at Camp Perry the year he was able to borrow and display Dad Farr's M1903. Such good company he was.

The one thing that does stick in my craw a bit is no one talks much about "Culvers Magic Paste" that of course should be kept in a type writer ribbon tin, I see it commercially available now and there is no mention of the Major and even though he did not invent the paste he was the one who made all of us aware of it.

RIP Sir, see you at the firing line in the sky one day. :'(

No need to further comment
Matt

Liam
05-30-2014, 05:46
For Matt Anthony - "Almost 7 thousand hits on the large bore shotgun post, but less than 10 on the Major!" I suspect this is because I came across the posting in the Reloading Forum. I suspect the vast majority of CSP-ers do not reload, and therefore would not be perusing this particular forum. The Gun Talk Forum seems to be the middle-of-the-road meeting place, where nearly anything can be addressed. Repost there. I, for one, will be seeking out the Major's resting place at ANC in order to pay my respects this Summer when I go to see Frank Buckles' grave. I attended Frank's funeral but have yet to see the headstone. Arlington is a somber place as it should be. But it is also a place of celebration of sorts - just being there and sharing in the company that surrounds you...both inspiring and humbling. Everyone should visit once in thier lives. - Liam

Allen
05-30-2014, 09:02
I did not know the Major but thank him and Gloria for all they have done. Creating this site was a great act of kindness and generosity and has enabled many of us to fellowship and share our experiences and findings. I was a member of the old forum and of course this one. Of course the Major will be missed. Though I did not know him he is still the backbone of CSP and us, the members. I hope now that Gloria is not over burdened by upkeep of this site and ask for our help if it is needed.

Mark Daiute
05-30-2014, 03:42
RIP and thank you for the forum.

Matt Anthony
06-02-2014, 02:59
For Matt Anthony - "Almost 7 thousand hits on the large bore shotgun post, but less than 10 on the Major!" I suspect this is because I came across the posting in the Reloading Forum. I suspect the vast majority of CSP-ers do not reload, and therefore would not be perusing this particular forum. The Gun Talk Forum seems to be the middle-of-the-road meeting place, where nearly anything can be addressed. Repost there. I, for one, will be seeking out the Major's resting place at ANC in order to pay my respects this Summer when I go to see Frank Buckles' grave. I attended Frank's funeral but have yet to see the headstone. Arlington is a somber place as it should be. But it is also a place of celebration of sorts - just being there and sharing in the company that surrounds you...both inspiring and humbling. Everyone should visit once in thier lives. - Liam

To Liam:
I too will be going to Arlington but not until next spring to see where the Major is buried and to take in the somber visual effects of the head stones. So many died for this nation to keep the world free, or as some believe to keep the economy from failing.
As one reads the history of wars, the pre-war events makes one think of the political/economic reasons to go to war instead of security. It's such a shame men die for reasons that are not honest. Governments are certainly corrupt, not one is honest nor worthy! Do governments put the squeeze on other governments, the answer is yes, and then men die! All for fame and fortune, war can make many rich beyond our wildest dreams.
I just read what the soldier who was released this Saturday from Afghanistan said, that "he was ashamed to be an American"....also...."The title of US Soldier is just the lie of fools"! Yes he was brainwashed, but he said it and how does that look to the world? What a mess our USA is presently in, and I thank the 52% who voted O in twice..................We are the laughing stock of the world..................
Matt