PDA

View Full Version : NPM recoil plate question

SloopJohnB
03-04-2014, 04:24
I just picked up a very nice 4.3 mil NPM that is all correct, if not possibly original except for one anomaly. The recoil plate is a machined type 3, with the marking "WJ" on the bottom. I can't find a reference to that code, and am woncering if someone out there has seen it before. It appears to be the same as every other USGI type 3 I've seen, but I'm at a loss to explain/understand that marking.
I would really appreciate any assistance/info you carbine collectors can provide.
Thanks in advance,
John

jimb
03-04-2014, 05:10
I believe that part is Wadsworth Watch Case Co. for Jamestown Lounge. I know of no records that show those parts being used by NPM, but they did get subcontracted reciol plates from a couple of other makers like Lyman, so it might be original.

SloopJohnB
03-04-2014, 07:11
Thanks jimb. Another forum member indicated that these recoil plate were installed on replacement stocks. Jamestown Lounge would seem a logical supplier.

Tuna
03-04-2014, 08:11
Yes they had a contract to make replacement stocks mid to late war. The type 3 plates were required to go along with the stock.

RCS
03-05-2014, 02:31
I have a NPM carbine in the 4,24 million serial range with a undated IBM barrel, the recoil plate is LN. Would the IBM barrel be correct ?

SloopJohnB
03-05-2014, 06:23
I have a NPM carbine in the 4,24 million serial range with a undated IBM barrel, the recoil plate is LN. Would the IBM barrel be correct ?

I'm thinking it's probably correct since NPM used IBM barrels, among others, from the government free issue program. Mine is serial #435xxx with an unmarked IBM barrel. Does yours have a Union Switch & Signal "U" marked receiver?

RCS
03-05-2014, 07:22
No there is not any U stamp on the receiver

Tuna
03-05-2014, 08:26
Your serial number dates to about March 1944 and at that time NPM was using IBM barrels so it's most likely the original barrel.