PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Old............

usmc69
03-03-2014, 05:25
Forty-Five years ago today (3/3/1969), I joined the Corps. Twenty Four active and now twenty one Retired. There are times when I wish I was still there.

dave
03-03-2014, 05:56
I know the feeling, even tho I only served 4 years. I intended to stay the 20 but things happen, like a wife and kids! I didn't listen when told
"If the military wanted you to have a wife they would have issued one". Oh well, I still have the wife, 60 years now!

phil441
03-04-2014, 10:38
I think the reason so many of us feel that way is that we were in the best physical condition we'd ever know again.......

joet
09-04-2014, 04:53
I think the reason so many of us feel that way is that we were in the best physical condition we'd ever know again.......

How True!!!

Griff Murphey
09-07-2014, 08:32
Forty years ago I was a senior dental student on a month and a half vacation at the officers training school at Newport, Rhode Island, for dental officer indoctrination. After 7 years Army ROTC I was real glad to put my Army commission in my rear view mirror. One day I received my orders as to where I would serve. They were in blue mimeograph. I was going to NAHA? Where the hell was NAHA? Naha, California, sounded right, when I tried it out.

The CDR who was teaching the class got a good laugh out of it and informed me I had not joined the Navy, but rather, the Marine Corps, the 3rd Mar Div to be specific, and was headed for the Far East.

Michaelp
09-09-2014, 12:34
Enlisted 1966 to beat the draft. I had a student deferment, but GPA dropped to "Red Meat " level and I was a goner.

Signed for Airborne Infantry-never claimed I was smart.

Ended up doing four years, senn some stuff, good and bad. Got a few wounds, from negligeable to real serious.
Saw way too much misery living with the border folks.
Did not care for the regimentation or power trips we had to put up with.
That extra pay is for haircuts, fresh startch, spit shines and related stuff.
SF can expect to be in the field more than not and home life was a chore. At least one divorce used to be a basic requirement.
I never regretted getting out and I sure don't regret my service.
I had a hard time with half-stepping civilians and always will.

i do go to reunions and conventions and stir up trouble on discussion boards. I got lots of hobbies and activities.
I will never live long enough to get bored.
I wish I had enough sense to get off motorcycles, though.

phil441
09-13-2014, 09:42
I wish I had enough sense to get off motorcycles, though.

Don't do it! In the late '90's I became a true "Company Man" devoting my time to the company I worked for including a lot of travel and such instead of cross-country riding. In the meantime I developed osteoporosis and a few other problems.
Then I moved in 1999 and all the bikes went into a storage unit where they reside to this day.

The old saying "you don't stop riding because you get old, You get old because you stop riding" is true. Believe me...

Michaelp
09-24-2014, 08:11
I rode the same panhead 35 years.
Plus owned others along the way.
Started on a 305 scrambler.

I bought a Road Glide when I retired for touring and did that some.
I am fair size and always been very strong from hard work on the farm and sports, etc.

At 67 I have noted significant reduction in areas of strength, reflexes, eyesight, and a few other things critical to riding.
I have arthritis in my hands with a couple replaced joints.
Traffic becomes more hostile everyday with all the texters and general congestion.

Handling that big bike in parking or maneuvering situations is becoming a big hassle. I have had to pick it up a few times and it took every ounce of strength I could muster.
Not like the old days when I could just flip it up.
I am restoring a panhead with sidehack for fun.
I do not have sense enough to give it up altogether, but I am not a poster boy for safety or ability.
This sucks immensly.
Getting a cataract fixed tomorrow.

browningautorifle
09-24-2014, 08:40
I never did finish high school, it was wasting my time...I joined up 40 years ago last February and stayed the whole time. I've only been out for 6 years...and it's great. (Being retired)

Shooter5
09-24-2014, 11:31
I rode the same panhead 35 years.
Plus owned others along the way.
Started on a 305 scrambler.

I bought a Road Glide when I retired for touring and did that some.
I am fair size and always been very strong from hard work on the farm and sports, etc.

At 67 I have noted significant reduction in areas of strength, reflexes, eyesight, and a few other things critical to riding.
I have arthritis in my hands with a couple replaced joints.
Traffic becomes more hostile everyday with all the texters and general congestion.

Handling that big bike in parking or maneuvering situations is becoming a big hassle. I have had to pick it up a few times and it took every ounce of strength I could muster.
Not like the old days when I could just flip it up.
I am restoring a panhead with sidehack for fun.
I do not have sense enough to give it up altogether, but I am not a poster boy for safety or ability.
This sucks immensly.
Getting a cataract fixed tomorrow.
Get/build it into a trike. Don't laugh; plenty have done it and it keeps you in the saddle. Nothing wrong with it or getting old for that matter. Plus; It's better than giving up completely and not riding anymore and certainly better than dumping a bike over and over.
There is CanAm's but they drive/feel different…

http://can-am.brp.com

Or…

http://www.imz-ural.com/2014-patrol.html

Michaelp
09-26-2014, 12:46
NEVER!
A trike to me is too much like a tractor-which I love in their own context. I have several.

I see a lot of them everyday and do not badmouth anybody who wants one.
Just not for me.

I had a side hack years ago and it will be my choice for old age.
It still has a kickstarter, as well.

coastie
10-05-2014, 01:50
With my knees requiring a "moment" to stretch and recover, my motor cycle days are far away.
Tell me about your cataract!
May need one in a year or so....as per VA Quacks.

coastie
10-05-2014, 01:52
Also, cost of bike versus cost of an air conditioned Honda......no contest in
Houston, Texas. And rain, don't forget rain!

phil441
10-06-2014, 08:49
Hope the cataract surgery went well. After having mine done a few years ago I never pass up the chance to tell people "just do it!"

Michaelp
10-07-2014, 12:05
I was outside just after dark and looked up and saw this marvelously detailed glowing orb in the dark sky. You really appreciate the little things like that.

I could almost make out the plates on one of the landers they left up there.

Amazing as well how relatively simple such a miraculous procedure can be.

One day a week the clinic just lines 'em up and goes to town.

I need simple off the shelf reading glasses for closeup, but that is even a good deal.

Might get a monacle on a cord to carry about.

If you have catarcats, and can get them fixed, do it.!

Litt'le Lee
10-07-2014, 11:33
Well, going to diego for basic in Sept 58 and getting out in 62,shure seems a lifetime ago-75 now and slowing down is dramatic-hand eye going-senses going-But everyone living this long goes thru it or goes to dirt or the oven

phil441
10-09-2014, 09:18
Well, going to diego for basic in Sept 58 and getting out in 62,shure seems a lifetime ago-75 now and slowing down is dramatic-hand eye going-senses going-But everyone living this long goes thru it or goes to dirt or the oven

Only a couple of years behind you but the eye-hand thing started showing up when I discovered that I was becoming a real slouch on my home pc flight simulator. Also my wife started noticing that I seemed to brake a little later in heavy traffic. I fixed the latter by refusing to drive in heavy stop and go traffic. I don't miss it at all. I still drive her to appointments where she might be sedated but with the understanding that it might take us a while to get there and back. All we can do is adjust.... At least I now have a clear view of who I'm trying not to hit!

emmagee1917
10-10-2014, 09:02

It's still good , unless you go to the dirt , THEN go down to the oven . :>)
Chris