PDA

View Full Version : Mauser k98 Sling

Marty T.
03-02-2014, 01:31
Did the German Mausers have slings that were stamped with manuf. and date matched to the rifles or did they just put on a sling from any maker and date? Example, for byf 44 rifle, what sling stamp as far as maker and date should be found? Thanks.

Embalmer
03-03-2014, 05:36
slings were issued per as on hand, and not matched by date/maker as they were a high wear item.

dave
03-03-2014, 05:49
Some had no date/maker stamps at all, or they soon wore or swelled back up and dissapeared. I have many original slings, on most there is no marking that can be seen. However 2 rifles I have, both as new condition with (I have to assume original) slings in new condition are marked. byf 44 has a clg44 sling and the byf 42 sling has a ink stamp I cannot make out. Same with bayo frogs, of the 20 or so I have only 4 or 5 have any marks that can be read, most seem to have none.
These items were made by sub-contractors and probably had been added by the using unit, not the rifle maker. And ofcourse slings wore out quicker then rifles!

Marty T.
03-03-2014, 05:09
Thanks again all. I will for now just get me an unmarked repro till I can find a real one that is affordable. If I have any more questions, I'll be sure to holler.
Marty

dave
03-04-2014, 05:58
Most repro's are marked that I have seen, very poorly. Good luck.

c47flew
03-19-2014, 01:09
Dave, I recently picked up an outstanding war bring back byf 41. All matching serial numbers, as good as it gets minus the sling. Do you have an original that would match up to this rifle and would you be willing to part with it? If not, could direct me to one? Many thanks.

dave
03-19-2014, 03:39
Sorry but these slings sell, for over a 100 bucks, if you can find one! Mine are all on rifles and were when I got the rifles. None are for sale. I would say to watch e-bay and gun auctions site but they usually get bid very hi.

Marty T.
03-20-2014, 07:52
Check with Northridge Inc. I just ordered one, original and they have them dated from '39 to '43 or unmarked. Mine should be in Sat. or Mon. They have them selling for $49.95 plus shipping. Pics are on their website at northridgeinc.com if you want to have a look.

dave
03-21-2014, 05:36
They look like a good deal but I think they are post war. Many countries used K98k's after the war and made various parts and accessories for them. The sling description says nothing about markings, however further down keepers (only) are being sold, oringinal and marked it seems.

Marty T.
03-21-2014, 06:51
Just got sling in today. It is marked as '43 and is in good used condition. I called and asked about the time frame of issue and was told that it is WW2 sling. So get one if you want a nice sling at a decent price. Shipped fast too. Ordered Tues, shipped Wed. and here Fri. They are in Cal. and I'm in Tn. Well used but solid and supple. Not any experience with any of these slings, so not going to say on my end that it is actual WW2 issue, but does have the crosshatch pattern like they are supposed to have and looks good on rifle. So that's my input on this.

dave
03-22-2014, 05:33
Sounds like a deal!

Marty T.
03-22-2014, 07:08
Wish I knew how to post pics so I could get opinions on it, but I'm still somewhat incompetent on that. Maybe if someone else orders one and can post pics, it will help both Northridge and folks here who need a sling. They are supposed to have a few on hand to sell. Price for mine was $56 shipping and all. So I'm good with that and have a sling on the rifle. All is well in my world for now.

c47flew
03-26-2014, 01:43
Thanks for the info Marty. I just ordered mine and they were very happy to try and provide the correct sling for my rifle. Regardless, any sling from that period would be correct as I'm sure they wore and deteriorated and were replaced as needed with later dated slings. I'll post some pic's when I receive mine.

c47flew
03-28-2014, 01:28
Received my sling in two days (shipped from Cali to Fla). Beautiful sling stamped L.L.G. Thuringen 1941. Nicely conditioned, slightly oily with some very minor cracking and wear. Completely satisfied and was a LOT more than I expected. Will post pic's when the wife helps me!

Marty T.
03-28-2014, 07:08
They are fast with the shipping and I see that you got one that was as satisfactory as mine. Will be looking for the pics. Glad I was able to pass along some info that was helpful.