PDA

View Full Version : Who gets the closest to mil-spec?

Hecklerusp45
02-28-2014, 08:41
I was wondering which AR makers come the closest to mil-spec. Is there a web site or a document that has this information?

gwp
02-28-2014, 10:33
Here is the last round of this question:

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?42964-Best-ARs&highlight=mil-spec+ar-15

4F4Nam
02-28-2014, 04:57
I was wondering which AR makers come the closest to mil-spec. Is there a web site or a document that has this information?

Colt.

Ed

Hecklerusp45
02-28-2014, 07:27
Thanks guys

GA-Dave
03-08-2014, 05:58
I asked this question in the other post. It's hard to answer because so many companies are making ARs today. Many are not on the list such as Troy, Sig, and many others. Colt is still the easiest say meets mil-spec.

bd1
03-09-2014, 05:07
Colt 6920's a good deal right now. Shop around, of course. They'll triple in value again next panic.

albert
05-04-2015, 07:35
FN is so a military contractor.

bd1
05-05-2015, 02:40
Since the thread's been re-opened, anybody mention Daniel Defense or Bravo Company? Good stuff.

Former Cav
05-15-2015, 12:02
dpms was a military contractor back in the 80's and 90's.
I'd presume they remain so.

joem
05-16-2015, 06:39
+1 on DPMS. Although it took almost a year for me to get my AR10 Classic.

Col. Colt
05-16-2015, 08:25
I doubt if DPMS processes could meet milspec requirements today. They were in recent times well known in the AR Industry for too many breakable AR bolts (lugs and through the pin hole) - no way their processes and procedures are right if they allowed that to become common. Sloppy work on critical parts. This is why you need to magnaflux/particle check EVERY SINGLE BOLT with a proof round and then final MP inspection - like Colt does. Yes, good parts cost more because the process of guaranteeing quality costs more. Worth every penny. Hopefully DPMS is past that - but currently I want NOTHING DPMS in my rifle. CC

Sunray
05-18-2015, 11:22
Everything the military uses is mil-spec. Kind of a misnomer that doesn't really mean much.

Stephan
05-24-2015, 08:53
At one time Century Arms sold 'civilianized' M16A1 and M16A2 rifles. These being third-world M16 rifles imported back into the US with destroyed lower receivers and cut barrels...basically just used parts. Then rebuilt into sporter rifles with new barrels and civilian AR 15 receivers..new springs and such parts as needed.

I bought an A2 rifle and it's pretty decent..has a new 1-9 twist heavy barrel, new lower receiver, all new springs and plastic furniture..the rest being used and refinished M16 parts. Any part you can identify on mine is a Colt made piece

I look at it as a poor-boy Colt A2 Hbar Sporter. Shoots great!

PhillipM
05-24-2015, 08:37
MILSPEC. measured by micrometer, cut with an axe, hammered to fit, and painted to match.

JohnMOhio
05-26-2015, 09:54
Phil, you forgot to mention: "lowest bidder."

Col. Colt
05-26-2015, 10:29
The Technical Data Package that the Military M16/M4 is built to is a highly detailed, explicit document that calls out EXACTLY what specs will be adhered to for every single part, and the materials and composition of every single part. It's cute to say "Government Issue = Lowest Bidder" to imply poor quality - but it just isn't so here.

The "Lowest Bidder" has to meet all the same tight specs as the "Highest Bidder" - so he has to be more efficent to give a lower bid - corner cutting on the quality level specified is Not Allowed. And I don't think axes are involved at all.

ALL Parts must meet spec or an entire Lot is Rejected. Colt, on parts they subcontract like springs, requires that the subcontractor send them samples of the metal that will be used to make the item, for lab analysis. Then the finished parts are also inspected - and must meet spec - or Colt can reject the whole lot. Lowest bidder means only that - they are contracting to provide an item at the best price - they are not allowed to reduce quality. CC

jimmyzwei
05-28-2015, 08:52
a whole lot of this inspection you refer to depends on the size of the actual contract - low volume contracts DCMA (Defense Contract Management Agency) won't even inspect. Not worth there time or effort, you only find it long after the parts come out of DLA (Defense Logistics Agency) and a QDR (Quality Deficiency Report) is written by then the parts have been paid for and its to late. Army management of contractors quality is a joke, unless the contract is big enough to staff DCMA inspectors on site. What realy should happen is DLA should have inspectors at all initial receiving locations and inspect all incoming product using AQL (Acceptable Quality Limit) sampling frequencies

lyman
06-16-2015, 05:52
didn't RRA make carbines for the DEA or a similar agency,

guessing that may make them milspec?

lots of other companies made them for police contracts, but not sure that would count,,

BlitzKrieg
08-12-2015, 11:34
Colt, FN, Lewis Machine & Tool, LWRC for starters.

Would not be surprised Rock River, Stag, Daniel Defense are as well (or close to milspec).

Since there is not a huge Tsunami of brand name AR rifles and Carbines crapping out, its a good
guess most are made darn good.

I do think it safe to say all those bins of AR parts at gun shows..... some quality control headaches populate those bins and thus...prices are a bargain.

ON a weapon: its not bargain if it is not trustworthy.

pipboy344
11-05-2015, 05:12
dpms was a military contractor back in the 80's and 90's.
I'd presume they remain so. All their AR-15s appear to be mil-spec. They refuse to make A1 uppers though, only C7.

BlitzKrieg
04-25-2016, 05:23
Who gets closest to milspec on M14/M1A: LRB,Fulton Armory, Springfield Armory ? Probably none are true milspec but way good enough.

I think you'll find tiers of goodness in AR platforms with the deciding factors being better quality barrels, bolt carrier groups and trigger / hammers. Rest of parts pretty much the same across the brands.

S.B.
08-07-2016, 05:35
I would have to venture a guess is Colt, I mean they did make them both select fire and semi auto for our military?
Steve