PDA

View Full Version : All opinions welcome

Trap4570
02-27-2014, 08:04
I'm retired from gunsmithing and going through boxes of parts and pieces this question came to mind. If a bare receiver was found that the S/N showed a provenance such as a surrender piece from the war on the plains linking it to a well known or famous battle would the receiver be of value left as is or be of greater collector value as an assembled rifle using correct parts to the original configuration. Of course the rifle would be described as an assembly piece and not passed off as original. This is taking into account that a "C" is not stamped on the underside. I did once encounter a Bannerman with a condemned receiver many years ago and I should have examined it closer to see why. I am just curious to see what opinions everyone has.

Dick Hosmer
02-27-2014, 09:10
Your point about not building up something, which might wind up being fired someday, using "C" parts is quite laudable - no questions there. As to the historical thing, you will get divided opinions. The problem being that - even if you are honest and somehow mark the piece - what may happen down the road? At first of course the assembly will look too "fresh", but give it a few years of rust/sweat/dirt and the picture gets murky.

I have some minor wants of the type that might be found in old cigar boxes or coffee cans, do you have a list, or should I just message you?

Dan Shapiro
02-27-2014, 02:22
I would leave the part as-is. Nothing wrong with noting it's provenance, which should kick the price above that of "just a bare receiver". But as Dick points out, assemble it and some time in the future it will be presented as the real deal.

jon_norstog
02-27-2014, 06:39
Trap,

If you build that one up, put a note under the buttplate saying who you are and how that weapon came to be.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

jn

Dick Hosmer
02-28-2014, 06:37
Trap,

If you build that one up, put a note under the buttplate saying who you are and how that weapon came to be.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

jn

On the right track, but not permanent - I'd stamp the date of conversion on the bottom of the barrel.

Trap4570
02-28-2014, 08:43
I don't have anything of provenance along the trapdoor line. I would think a brass inlay in the stock to ID what transpired in restoring the arm to a complete state would be in order. I just wondered what everyone's thoughts are on the subject because to me it would seem to be of more interest to view a complete rifle rather than a bare receiver. Don't get me wrong - I have the same desire for making money as everyone else, but in the case of a historical piece I would let it go to a museum or to a collection of some type.
I have only seen one receiver in my life that was stamped with the "C" on the underside. It was in the late 50's at a pawn shop where trapdoors were stuffed in a barrel and marked 15.00$ each and 5.00$ for rifle without stock. I'm surprised the receiver made it out of the armory, but the barrel of rifles was marked Bannerman Trapdoor's as I remember. Carbine's were bringing 30.00$ and there were not many there. I'm going all on memory here and the prices are what I seem to remember.
Dick, I will go out to my shop and copy the S/N's of the receivers I have ... how did you know my receivers are in cigar boxes and related parts in coffee cans? It must be a practice endemic to our type of personality. I don't have any qualms about posting the S/N's for all to see. They have been tucked away in cigar boxes from a time before Cuban cigars were banned for sale. A few of the receivers I have were put on the back burner for a build. I'm willing to haggle a bit if there is something we both need.

Trap4570
02-28-2014, 09:06
Here is what I have found so far: A 50-70 with S/N 21169 stamped on left front of receiver and a small 'x' stamped on bottom.
S/N 61291 with MASS stamped at front of receiver. Capital 'F' stamped on bottom. It has a slight dent on the right nose where I assume was made when someone removed the barrel.
S/N 3416 with capital 'F' stamped on bottom. Appears to have traces of color case remaining which seems a bit odd.
I have a few others that I will post as soon as my cleaning and organizing allows me to find them!

Dan Shapiro
02-28-2014, 09:12
I have a few others that I will post as soon as my cleaning and organizing allows me to find them!

I put stuff where I always know I can find it.

Then I can't. :icon_redface:

Dick Hosmer
02-28-2014, 09:26
Ahh yes - the (in)famous "I'll put it right here so I'll always know where it is" syndrome - I know it (all too) well!

Trap4570
02-28-2014, 09:54
How true - seems my cigar boxes have been busy reproducing over the years. Found it!
S/N 240402
And a 50/70 S/N 46130

Dick Hosmer
02-28-2014, 11:47
Thanks, I'm looking for a .45-70 receiver between 197350 and 197500. Loooong shot, but, no ask, no find. Also need an M1879 rear sight for a Hotchkiss carbine (base and leaf will be stamped HC). And, a couple of off-beat cleaning rods, too.

Mark Daiute
03-01-2014, 04:03
Ahh yes - the (in)famous "I'll put it right here so I'll always know where it is" syndrome - I know it (all too) well!
somewhere in my house is a securely stored Buffington rear sight. I know there is because that's where I put it, a safe place. so safe I haven't seen it since.

sdkrag
03-04-2014, 03:14
I always enjoy opening a box or drawer and finding some long lost treasure. Some I've found more than once. Pretty cool stuff.

Lillian.eve
03-04-2014, 03:49
raise your hand if you have one and went metal detecting!! Now theres treasures unknown.

dave
03-06-2014, 05:40
And if you do find treasure like the people in CA keep your mouth shut! Gov. is trying to tie that gold into a hundred and plus year robbery so they can claim it!