PDA

View Full Version : Post your favorite memories about Major Culver

Jeff L
02-25-2014, 04:45
If you have a favorite memory or story about Dick, please post it here. :icon_salut:

Does anyone have any photos of him to share?

I'm sure Gloria would appreciate being able to read them.

Thanks

-Jeff L

Ken The Kanuck
02-25-2014, 05:42
I have several but one of memories that first come to mind is exchanging our experiences in the middle east. We agreed upon much and when talking to Dick his sense of humour and experience made me appreciate what a first class guy he was. That and his excellent choice in women.

KTK

John R.
02-25-2014, 06:08
I had a few long chats with Dick and Gloria while they were holed up in that HoJo's in Post's Falls
trying to recuperate after some medical issues.

Dick and I spoke of things that had happened to both of us in The Kingdom(Saudi Arabia) and South Africa and other places like Rhodesia and Viet Nam.I can talk about this sort of thing with another soldier,but I have never liked boring non comprehending civvies with "tin hat" stories as they wouldn't understand.NOBODY hates war more than soldiers you see and NO,there is no rousing music as you advance to contact either!

Dick Culver was a good officer and an honourable man.I am happy to have known him,even if it was only via the telephone.

My heartfelt condolences to Gloria on this unhappy occasion.

John and Lai Lin Robertson,
Vancouver,B.C.,CANADA.

M1Riflenut
02-25-2014, 06:24
I never met the Major in person, nor have I ever had a personal conversation with him. I do have fond memories of reading his posts and stories through the years, and of reading the numerous stories about him and his accomplishments and contributions. I am forever grateful to both him and Gloria for starting this forum because this is where I "cut my teeth" when I started collecting milsurps. I knew almost nothing when I started as there was very little information out there and in the early days of home computers and dial up internet, this website helped change that. I learned an awful lot here and it has provided me with the knowledge to really enjoy this hobby for many years. It saw me through my divorce and through the problems of being a single parent. It was my outlet, my escape, this is where spent a lot of my "me" time. We've had our problems here, had to move to another host for awhile, but we are still here and to me this is home. I may not post as much as I used to but I always try stop in daily to check up on things. Today I almost wish I hadn't. Today, our country lost a Great American.

Oyaji
02-25-2014, 06:31
Although I never personally met the Major, I felt like I knew him well. He exemplified the "old school" qualities and attributes I like to see in a military leader (i.e. know your craft, take care of your men, and have fun doing it). Dick was also a great story teller and we shall all sorely miss this and his sage advice on so many topics particularly firearms and marksmanship. I'm sure I would have enjoyed serving with the Major. I truly believe he is the type of man we as Marines, soldiers, airmen, and sailors would have happily followed thru the gates of hell.

Fair weather and following seas, Major Dick Culver. Rest in Peace. Semper Fi.

Very respectfully,

Mack Richards
SCPO/USNRET

Sully
02-25-2014, 06:50
Best wishes to you Gloria.

It's been an honor to come to these pages and hear the wisdom.
With Major Culver as the respected Titan and good soul.

:icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut::i con_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut:

With sadness,:(

Sully

tmark
02-25-2014, 07:54
The CSP has been a user-friendly website to me. The site is welcoming and makes one feel at home. I miss when Gloria use to chastise those who got a little out of hand. She isn't shy; she tells it like it is. I so much enjoyed Dick's sea chantees and his write up on the flaws and problems of the M-16.

I didn't know he won the silver star in Nam until today. He is one person I wished I'd have met in person.

JB White
02-25-2014, 08:18
Those of us who got a little out of hand? Hmmmm...you mean like when the Gun and Knife boards went down and Dick and Gloria set up a Lee Enfield board for all us lost waifs? Someone referred to us as a Mongol horde who didn't bother to leave our war ponies outside the door. Dick and Gloria laid down the law and I think she had a virtual rolling pin in hand while she tapped her foot. If memory serves I think that was back in the 90's.

I appreciate how they kept this board together for us in spite of their own personal setbacks. When the board was hacked and had to be shut down, a temporary home was found while this one was being built. That kind of dedication to our crowd did not go unnoticed.

oldyella
02-26-2014, 04:09
nice tribute

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=23202&p=290631&viewfull=1#post290631

Griff Murphey
02-26-2014, 04:43
I liked the fact that when I emailed him and he found out I was a Navy dental officer with the USMC, he shared with me one of his sea stories about a Navy Dental Captain who had been on Guadalcanal and did some dental work on him. I just was very impressed that he took the time to do that.

Anything further I say will just be a rehash of what everyone else is saying but I must say this website is truly a great gift, it is the one site I check daily for sure. As we know the credit all goes to Major and Mrs. Culver

Rick the Librarian
02-26-2014, 07:36
I never met the Major in person, nor have I ever had a personal conversation with him. I do have fond memories of reading his posts and stories through the years, and of reading the numerous stories about him and his accomplishments and contributions. I am forever grateful to both him and Gloria for starting this forum because this is where I "cut my teeth" when I started collecting milsurps. I knew almost nothing when I started as there was very little information out there and in the early days of home computers and dial up internet, this website helped change that. I learned an awful lot here and it has provided me with the knowledge to really enjoy this hobby for many years. It saw me through my divorce and through the problems of being a single parent. It was my outlet, my escape, this is where spent a lot of my "me" time. We've had our problems here, had to move to another host for awhile, but we are still here and to me this is home. I may not post as much as I used to but I always try stop in daily to check up on things. Today I almost wish I hadn't. Today, our country lost a Great American.

Almost word for word what my experiences were. I thought I was a "1903 expert" when I started using Jouster, but I soon found out how ignorant I was! I especially appreciated Gloria's job keeping the "peanut gallery" in line (and boy, we NEEDED it!!) Both Dick and Gloria were unfailing friendly and polite to me in posts, PMs and emails. I deeply regret, living in the same part of country I was always "too busy" to stop and see them.

Although Gloria had the reputation of being "the enforcer", Dick wasn't above doing the same thing, as well. I remember one unnamed individual who tended to be a pain to anyone he disagreed with. With this guy, you weren't just wrong, you were an idiot! One day, Dick got on him and set him straight!! I wish I could recall what Dick said, but this "lion" turned into a lamb - he did everything but call Dick "sir" and, as I recall, he was never any trouble again, and eventually slipped away.

RED
02-26-2014, 10:39
Me too... When I first started posting here I ran afoul of Major Culver over the JFK killing. I was (and still am) convinced that Oswald committed the crime and just couldn't understand why he was so vehement in his conclusion otherwise. After thinking about it for weeks, it finally occurred to me that the Major so loved the USA and in particular the USMC that he just could not accept the fact that one of his Marines could even possible done such a dastardly deed. I would doubtlessly adopt the same attitude had someone I loved done something similar.

After that I regained a huge amount of respect for the Major, and his service to the country via both the Marine Corps and the shooting community in general. Rest well Major you will be remembered with love and respect.

Dan Shapiro
02-26-2014, 10:41
Many years ago someone began a discussion on the old M1 board about hitting a moving target. It was a lively discussion and someone even posted old training manual photos, showing the sight picture taken to demonstrate the concept of "leading" when the target was walking vs running at various distances. There were even photos of taking a lead on horses at the trot and at the gallop. Several comments followed. IIRC, Dick dropped in and said something to the effect "Gloria better not find out you guys are talking about shooting horses!"

Brad in Idaho
02-26-2014, 02:25
I started on CSP while I still lived in Kalifornia. My wife and I met Dick and Gloria at the GCA convention in 2001 in Reno. After we moved to Idaho in 2002, we met up with them at a gun show in Spokane and we went to dinner with them after. We ate at a Mexican restaurant in Spokane that was very busy. After dinner was over we sat at the table for probably 2 more hours talking about politics, guns, whatever. We decided we should let the restaurant have the table and went outside to say goodbyes. Well, Dick broke out a couple of cigars and we stood outside the place for another bull session and a smoke. I can't think of anyone else I'd met that I felt more comfortable around. Enjoyed his humor, his storytelling, and his demeanor. We had occasion to visit with them a couple of other times, once at a restaurant in Post Falls, and at another GCA convention in Reno, but our first meeting with the Culvers stands out in my memory. We never got to visit with them at their place in Post Falls. Seemed like both of us couldn't be available at the same time. Dick was an unforgettable character who will be missed by many, but especially by his wife, friend, partner, and soul mate Gloria.

Major Culver at the GCA convention in Reno in 2001

http://www.fototime.com/2A180A08168DD6E/large.jpg

Kurt
02-26-2014, 07:59
I never met Dick but this was the first sight I joined when getting into the 1903's and was duly impressed at the knowledge and fine people that are always more than willing to help a newbie. I looked into who put it together and once on the trail of Dick Culver, couldn't stop reading everything I could find, down to the many old sea tales. One can't help but love the story telling ability of this fine man, the book you can never put down. I don't think one could leave a finer legacy.

With utmost Respect

Kurt

Jefferson Adams
02-26-2014, 08:27
My favorite memory of Dick Culver is actually a conglomeration of several memories: Dick and Gloria and I met many times for lunch, in a couple of local restaurants which still allowed cigar smoking. We would have lunch and literally sit there for 4 or 5 hours talking, most of which was Dick telling sea stories, camel tales, and the like. I have never - NEVER - laughed so hard or so long in my entire life. Dick had an incredibly rich history of things that he'd either been a part of or that had happened to him, and they way he told most of them they were simply hysterical. If you didn't actually know him, you'd swear that all of those things could not possibly have happened to one man, but I have no doubt that they did. And many of them are here on this website, in his Camel Tales or Jouster Tales.

My absolute favorite - and one which I tried for years, unsuccessfully, to get him to write down - was the story of his being accosted by an airport security guard in the Spokane airport as he and Gloria were headed for a flight. Dick, as was customary, had a cigar in his mouth - unlit - and this very large (they found out later he was a retired state patrolman) security guard approached them and told Dick to take the cigar out of his mouth, there was no smoking in the airport. Dick replied - and I quote - "I will NOT!" (it wasn't lit, after all), and the situation deteriorated from there. Suffice to say that the security guard had NO idea who he was messing with, and he was WAY out of his league :)

I grin ear to ear every time I think about that story, and I really, really wish Dick had written it down.

da gimp
02-27-2014, 08:27
I'm like Jefferson ,Kurt & Brad....... I flat out love the Major's stories posted here... & the ones he used to post on the crackerbarrel/guntalk........... he used to regale us with stories of him & Gloria at gunshows, with her 1903 Pederson device in hand trolling for crooked dealers........

Brad in Idaho
02-27-2014, 11:54
My absolute favorite - and one which I tried for years, unsuccessfully, to get him to write down - was the story of his being accosted by an airport security guard in the Spokane airport as he and Gloria were headed for a flight. Dick, as was customary, had a cigar in his mouth - unlit - and this very large (they found out later he was a retired state patrolman) security guard approached them and told Dick to take the cigar out of his mouth, there was no smoking in the airport. Dick replied - and I quote - "I will NOT!" (it wasn't lit, after all), and the situation deteriorated from there. Suffice to say that the security guard had NO idea who he was messing with, and he was WAY out of his league :)

I grin ear to ear every time I think about that story, and I really, really wish Dick had written it down.

That was one of my favorite stories too. I think they were on the way to a GCA convention that time. I remember Gloria rolling her eyes when he started telling that tale.

BTW da gimp, I followed Gloria around once at the Big Reno Gun Show when she trolled with the Pedersen Device equipped rifle. I had to stay close enough to hear what was being said, but far enough away to keep the dealers from seeing or hearing me laugh while they tried to con Gloria out of the rifle. What a hoot!

da gimp
02-28-2014, 10:28
When I was trying to recover from my first bout with lung cancer in late 1999 & early 2000............ I know in my heart that our Lord sent me here to Jousters'.......... The Major's stories & all the posts from the very many good people I met here, helped me to regain my interest in living & to rekindle my love for fine old firearms & good people in general..........

Here's one for the Major & the Swede, ... I wish there was one of someone smoking a good cigar..........................but the good ale lifted in tribute to two good people will do just fine.

:1948:

Richard Turner/Turner Saddlery
02-28-2014, 07:04
I remember the event where Dick was accosted by airport security at the Spokane, WA airport. Dick and Gloria were on their way to the NRA Convention in Charlotte, NC, I believe it was 2001. Dick had told me to meet him at the show, that he would be at the Soldier of Fortune booth. He said if he wasn't at the booth when I arrived, just tell Col. Bob Brown I was a friend of Dick Culver. Boy, did that go a long way with the Colonel, he said "Hey Gunny, good to meet you, Dick said you would be stopping by, pull up a chair." So I sat down waiting for Dick and Gloria, passing the time talking to the Colonel. Hours went by, no sign of Dick, so I walked the show (had a young nephew with me, he was getting restless), walked the entire show, still no sign of Dick and Gloria. We stayed at the show until almost closing time and decided there must have been a delay with the flight, little did I know it was Dick and his cigar that delayed his boarding the flight. We decided since we had already seen all the exhibits we would head back to Alabama, (since we had not checked into the hotel yet). We were half way back home when Gloria called and said "Hey, where are you at", I told her we had been at the show all day and thought they were not coming. Gloria told me what had happened with the cigar and Dick standing his ground. Once the security guard had Dick in an interview room, he told Dick "Sit Down" Dick replied "No thank you, I'll stand" it went down hill from there. Not only was Dick pulled from the flight, the FBI was called in. When Dick told the FBI agents the story, they thought it was the funniest thing they had heard in a long time. The airport security guard embarrassed, just kind of disappeared in the distance, though got the upper hand, Dick and Gloria missed their flight.

When Dick was relating the story he commenced to tell me about the time Lou Costello was driving in Northern California at a time smoking was banned while driving during the dry season of the year. He said Lou was chewing on his cigar and was pulled over for smoking. Lou said "My cigar is not lit" the trooper said, "But you were going to smoke it" Lou said, "I've got shoes on, but I'm not walking" Dick had a few choice words of ill will toward the security guard for making him miss the first day of the show.

I always enjoyed how Dick would tie a good story into a character in history or a good movie, such as "Hey, do you remember the time Tom Mix and his horse Tony--------fill in the blank as you may. There will never be another like him.

Jefferson Adams
03-01-2014, 07:33
Richard, THANK YOU for adding to the Spokane Airport story - I'd forgotten the "No thank you, I'll stand" part!

Damn. I REALLY wish he'd written that one down. For those who never heard it, it was basically a back and forth between Dick and the security guard, just like that, with the guard trying to show his authority with every statement and Dick effortlessly slicing and dicing him with each reply. Truly hysterical. That poor guy was so outgunned he never stood a chance! :O

And da gimp, this is for you - best pic of somebody smoking a cigar I could find :)

http://mywebtester.com/ClintEastwoodSemperFi.jpg

I'm sure that if Clint had known Major Culver he'd be saying something about like that.

holdover
03-02-2014, 08:55
I only knew the Major through the emails we sent each other over the years. The USMC was a common bond between us as well as the enjoyment of a nice 03. I passed the notice of his passing to my neighbor and good friend, who was a fellow Rat, here is what he sent me.
"He wa a First Classman when I was a Rat. Didn't know him well, but he was a nice guy. He was famous for throwing large firecrackers in the courtyard after taps!"

I can hear them going off! Rest in Peace Sir, your service has left the world a better place.

Critch
03-03-2014, 07:36
I have to agree with JBWhite. It was so nice of the Culvers to open their doors here to us. I never met the Major personally, but I also love his sea stories. Thanks to both of you.

Doug Douglass
03-04-2014, 05:53
Dick and Glorias website has been a source of expert opinion for thousands involved in our hobby. Thank you.

We all know who guards the Gates of Heaven, the U.S.M.C. :icon_salut:

Vern Humphrey
03-11-2014, 08:31
Good bye for a while, Dick. I'll meet you in the American Sector in Valhalla at the Bob Hope show.

Major Vern Humphrey

03-14-2014, 04:37
Back in early 2005, I called Dick and Gloria to see if they were interested in meeting us at the Big Reno Gun Show in April of that year. They said they would plan on it, and they would see if they could get the CMP to come as well, (which they did). Messages was posted on the forum and we made it a big CSP get together, for a meet and greet.

Gloria called me later and said it was the same month as Dick's Birthday (69th), and could we help plan a surprise party at the hotel. So me and Camille (my better half affectionately known as Melebug), said we would help in reserving a conference room at the Hilton. Everything went off without a hitch, Dick had no idea what he was in for, I believe the party was on Saturday night. I don't know how many forum members from CSP showed up, but I know we had 50 or better. Mike Ginger was in charge as the MC and the surprise party quickly turned into a roast, and Dick was the main dish.

Dick brought his M1903 W/Pedersen Device, and Gloria and Camille had fun trolling at the show. Gloria would pass by unsuspecting collectors and table holders and give then some story about how she inherited this old rifle from her grandfather and didn't know if it was worth anything or not. Upon returning to our tables, it looked like Gloria was the Pied Piper, with a bunch of dealers in tow, trying to buy the M1903 and Pedersen Device for pennies on the dollar.

Here are some photos of the party and roast. I don't know why I only have one of Dick wearing the kids plastic helmet, albeit from the rear, but if I can't find a better one, I know Gloria probably has one.

Edit: See PhillipM's post below for photos. (Thanks! Phillip)

Well, apparently I have forgot how to upload photos to CSP without one having to click on a Photobucket link. Any instruction would be greatly appreciated.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y417/tursad/Dick%20Culver/P1010004_zpsa623e8c5.jpg

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y417/tursad/Dick%20Culver/P1010002_zps3fea8904.jpg

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y417/tursad/Dick%20Culver/P1010003_zpsd83bd006.jpg

PhillipM
03-14-2014, 07:17
Richard, Top left row of icons above the reply window, third icon from the right is a mini portrait. Go to your photobucket and look at the sharing options on the right and click "Direct" Next click the portrait icon and when the dialoge box appears right click in the text window and select "Paste"

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y417/tursad/P1010001_zps52b1be70.jpg
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y417/tursad/P1010003_zpsd83bd006.jpg
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y417/tursad/P1010004_zpsa623e8c5.jpg
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y417/tursad/P1010002_zps3fea8904.jpg

03-15-2014, 03:30
Phillip:

Thanks for posting the photos for me and the tutorial.

I despise computers, hate them actually. The wife tells all her friends, that I have dog cussed computers ever since we had to learn how to use them at CID @ CamPen, 1988 time frame.
They took away our Remington Selectrics and installed these huge computers, about three times the size of a Mermite can on the deck by our desk. We were told if we didn't like it, go find a typewriter.

Since I had contacts at DRMO, we found out when the Remingtons were coming up for auction. Several of us showed up at the Thursday auction, bid a grand total of $20 and bought the d@mn things back. When we put the things back in our respective offices, we gained the ire of the Gunner and MasterGuns, whom thought after the things having been gone for about two weeks, they mysteriously showed back up, albeit now sporting a large personal property tag.

Semper Fi,

Richard

aintright
03-15-2014, 04:26
Never met Dick or Gloria , but i can tell by the post of those who did , it was a treat to know them . I do appreciate the site they created here and reading and learning provided by it . Thank you , Kenneth

Jefferson Adams
03-20-2014, 10:44
Richard, great photos - that first one of Dick with the big grin, cigar in one hand and knife in the other, is pure, unadulterated Dick Culver! I'll always remember him with that mischievous, hand-in-the-cookie-jar grin!

For those who never had a chance to meet him in person, THAT is Pure Essence of Culver!! :1948:

BuckeyeShooter
03-26-2014, 10:36
I found Jouster in 1999 there abouts. I bumped into Dick at the Camp Perry armory. He was getting ice and I was suiting up in a big trashbag to go brave the rain. This is before they took all the newspaper art off the walls and wrecked the place. Anyway, I only had a minute to introduce myself as someone he had conversed with on CSP. I knew there was lots to talk about, nam, our years in the Corps & such, but I had to meet up with other shooters. My loss.

John HOLBROOK
04-16-2014, 09:34
Anybody remember this Reno GCA Convention in Reno??? CMP was sending M1s out the door by the carload!!! Who is the guy hanging himself with his tie? And who could forget Walt Ehler.

I see several repeat offenders in the photo

http://www.fototime.com/%7BE98A0654-0861-4939-BC18-4F7F7F658B1E%7D/origpict/Reno.jpg

Brad in Idaho
04-18-2014, 07:31
Anybody remember this Reno GCA Convention in Reno??? CMP was sending M1s out the door by the carload!!! Who is the guy hanging himself with his tie? And who could forget Walt Ehler.

I see several repeat offenders in the photo

http://www.fototime.com/%7BE98A0654-0861-4939-BC18-4F7F7F658B1E%7D/origpict/Reno.jpg

My wife and I went to that one. I read that Walt Ehlers passed away recently too. Meeting Mr. Ehlers and his fellow Medal of Honor recipient General Joe Foss were highlights of two Reno GCA conventions for us.