PDA

View Full Version : For the OLD-timers

Dick Hosmer
02-21-2014, 09:53
I have (probably about 98% of) what has to be an old (1930s?) Modern-Bond electro-mechanical chronograph. It consists of a vertical brass tube, about 24" tall, mounted to a precision adjustable tripod base, and with a very fancy and heavy-duty vernier slide assembly on the tube, which somehow works in conjunction with a pair of heavy plumb bobs, one of which is mechanically released, whilst the other is apparently held by a magnet. The whole thing is really industrial ART, beautifully crafted, and it must weigh 50# or more, maybe 75#. I'm thinking about parting with it - but certainly not as scrap. Any ideas as to whether anyone would be interested in such a thing, or any sort of idea of value?

Yes, of course I can provide photos, but got the wild hair to do something NOW. Have tried Bing/Google/eBay, etc. - no luck so far.

Thanks in advance.

Matt Anthony
02-24-2014, 02:58
If you can't sell it, it's probably not worth anything, so donate it to a museum! You can also contact the NRA and see if they want it! Or keep it and after you die let someone else dispose of it! Attics and garage upper storage area's are good places to put it so it's out of the way!
Matt

mhb
02-24-2014, 10:43
a Le Boulenge-pattern chronograph, which was the industry standard before the development of electronic 'counter' chronographs. You can find more information about the methodology of its use by searching using the Le Boulenge name.
mhb - Mike

I have (probably about 98% of) what has to be an old (1930s?) Modern-Bond electro-mechanical chronograph. It consists of a vertical brass tube, about 24" tall, mounted to a precision adjustable tripod base, and with a very fancy and heavy-duty vernier slide assembly on the tube, which somehow works in conjunction with a pair of heavy plumb bobs, one of which is mechanically released, whilst the other is apparently held by a magnet. The whole thing is really industrial ART, beautifully crafted, and it must weigh 50# or more, maybe 75#. I'm thinking about parting with it - but certainly not as scrap. Any ideas as to whether anyone would be interested in such a thing, or any sort of idea of value?

Yes, of course I can provide photos, but got the wild hair to do something NOW. Have tried Bing/Google/eBay, etc. - no luck so far.

Thanks in advance.

JBinIll
02-25-2014, 10:12
No idea on value.Someone on this board might have an idea http://www.antiquereloadingtools.com/forum/ or the International Ammunition Association board.Shipping would be a killer.

Dan Shapiro
02-25-2014, 02:50
If you donate it to a museum, don't forget the paperwork for a tax credit. If eligible, the museum can usually furnish the documentation on value. That keeps the IRS monkey off your back.

Irish Rob
02-26-2014, 08:21
Joe Salter has one for sale, $4995 retail

Matt Anthony
02-27-2014, 02:29
Joe Salter has one for sale, $4995 retail

Buying a 1930's chronograph would be like buying a 1930's Ford and expecting it to operate like a 2014 Hybrid Focus. In reality, it's a collector piece and the fact that it's old doesn't increase it's value. However, as there is an "ass for every seat" in the automobile market, there are still people with deep pockets that will buy anything.
If it were mine, I would still try to donate it...........
Matt

Trap4570
02-27-2014, 05:58
Bass Pro now has a museum with part of the NRA collection located there. They might be interested in having the device for their collection.

joem
03-08-2014, 01:02
How about some pics??