PDA

View Full Version : Novice Reloader Thoughts

Art
02-13-2014, 04:37
For many years the only ammo I reloaded was one load for my .250 Savage. I have a friend who lets me use his equipment and work under his supervision. While I was doing the .250 Savage thing I probably only reloaded every four or five years since the only time I use the rifle anymore is to put a few rounds downrange in the summer or fall to verify zero. I don't hunt deer anymore and the last time I reloaded for it was 1995!!!

A couple of years ago I bought a set of 30-06 dies with the idea of reloading for my .30-06 milsurps. I had some leftover IMR 4064 powder and Fed. 210 primers from the .250 sessions and picked up a box of 168 gr Sierra Match Kings. It was months before I got around to seeing my buddy again but I brought the stuff with me. He asked what I had in mind and I said I wanted to start with 46.5 gr of the 4064 powder. He said that was below the starting load in his manual but we loaded some up. We also resized enough cases to use up my Fed 210s. I took the handful of rounds with the 46.5 gr loads and they shot so well I decided to leave the load alone. We had used up the little bit of powder I had on the trial Match Kings. A couple of months ago I found a gunstore that had two pounds of 4064 powder. They would only sell me one pound So I took what I could get. I wasn't able to get anymore Match Kings but I did find some 165 gr Game Kings so this Monday I took them to my buddies house and we loaded the remaining primed cases with the Game Kings and loaded some Winchester virgin brass I bought with the remaining Match Kings with the same powder charge but using Winchester WLR primers. Long story short I took the loaded ammo out yesterday, set up a 200 yard SR target and fired off three of the Match Kings using my M1903A3 which in my hands is the most accurate milsurp I own. From the bench using a Caldwell rest. One was a called flier, SOP for me but the other two went into the "X" ring. I then fired two Game Kings. One was in the "10" ring just outside the "X" ring high left and the other was also in the "10" ring about 1 1/2 inches low right of the "X" ring. I think I'll leave that load alone.

I also have a caboodle of .303 British once fired cases and about 80 Mk VII projectiles I pulled from geriatric ammo I had gotten hangfires from lying around. I ordered a set of .303 British dies and got them last week, just in time for the Monday reloading session. The pulled bullets all Keynoch commercial about half with copper jackets and half with cupro nickel jackets. Because of the limited amount of these projectiles I had I decided to try about 39 gr. of the 4064; Manuals vary between a bit over 40 gr to a bit under 42 for this powder in .303 so I figured I should be in the safe zone. The cases were Winchester once fired military contract and the primers were the Winchester WLRs. I used my trusty No 4 Mk II which I bought "new old stock" in the mummy wrap. The report and recoil were very mild, I mean very mild indeed but it shot to point of aim at 200 yards with the battle sight setting and put 5 shots from the bench into 5 1/2 inches at 200 yards, usually can't shoot five without a flier but I'll take it. I think I'll leave that load alone too when I load the remaining .303 projectiles. If I find anymore ancient .303 Mk VII cartridges cheap I may buy them just for the projectiles.

Oh, all loads were done on a "Rockchucker" starting a few grains below the desired load and trickiling up. Brass was full length resized. After resizing and priming each case was charged with powder and the bullet seated before going on to the next primed case.

So far so good.

p246
02-13-2014, 06:57
Reloading is my therapy. I started with 308 years ago. Now I have stuff for 7 rifle calibers and 5 pistol. Can get expensive but I could have a lot worse hobbies. Enjoy.

joem
02-14-2014, 04:59
I'm afraid you'll find that you've caught a the reloading disease. In a short time you will be making several trips a month to the store to buy more supplies and searching the net for cheaper supplies. Good luck and enjoy.

psteinmayer
02-14-2014, 07:50
I started loading 30-40 Krag around 1983 with a Lee hand loader kit. I now load 4 rifle calibers and 5 pistol calibers... yes, I have the disease also, LOL!

Jim in Salt Lake
02-14-2014, 01:03
I love those 165gr Gamekings! They're all I use anymore. We used some Barnes TSX a few years ago and while they were accurate and more modern in design, they were over twice as expensive as the Sierras. To me, accuracy and putting down game depend more on the shooter's skill than using "premium" bullets for deer, elk, and antelope. The Sierras are cheap enough to practice with but the Barnes bullets are almost a buck a piece. I'll shoot a midrange match or two each year with my hunting rifle and those Gamekings, gives me a good zero at 600 yards and a boat load of confidence in the rifle and ammo. The only way to get the ammo is to reload. Art, it's time to get some reloading equipment of your own and have more fun!

Hefights
02-15-2014, 12:12
"I have a friend who lets me use his equipment and work under his supervision."

One really good way to learn about reloading in addition to reading the books.

Art
02-15-2014, 01:49
I love those 165gr Gamekings! They're all I use anymore. We used some Barnes TSX a few years ago and while they were accurate and more modern in design, they were over twice as expensive as the Sierras. To me, accuracy and putting down game depend more on the shooter's skill than using "premium" bullets for deer, elk, and antelope. The Sierras are cheap enough to practice with but the Barnes bullets are almost a buck a piece. I'll shoot a midrange match or two each year with my hunting rifle and those Gamekings, gives me a good zero at 600 yards and a boat load of confidence in the rifle and ammo. The only way to get the ammo is to reload. Art, it's time to get some reloading equipment of your own and have more fun!

On hunting bullets; if there was ever a case where the "best" is the enemy of "good enough" it's hunting bullets. On thin skinned medium to large North American non dangerous game the plain old soft point bullet works perfectly well. All of my early deer were killed with Remington .303 British factory ammo using 180 gr. soft point "Core-Lokt" bullets fired from my old SMLE sporter. It put the deer down quite well. Two of the three I shot with it didn't take a step and the third only ran 25 yards. The handload for my .250 Savage (Rem. 700 Classic) uses a Hornady 117 gr. BTSP which is their version of the Remington Core Lokt. It proved an efficient killer of deer as was the Winchester 100 gr. Silvertip I used on one of the deer I took with that rifle. I could have bought "premium" bullets but the deer wouldn't have been any more dead.

I hoped that the "Match King" .30-06 load would have the same zero as M2 ball in my Milsurps and it does, so do the "Game Kings." I am definitely pleased that I don't have to change my rifles' zero to use them. I don't want to use hot loads in my surplus rifles so this workup seems perfect. When I hunted deer in the past my '03A3 was my backup rifle and if I ever hunt deer again that "Game King" hand loaded ammo is going in it. I figure a good 165 gr. soft point at about 2,500-2600 fps should do the job just fine. It also occurred to me that a similar load with "Game Kings" or a similar bullet would be a good choice for those who want to hunt with their M1 rifles.

Matt Anthony
02-16-2014, 03:33
Thin skinned game here in the states have all fallen to the Winchester Silver tips, power points and the Remington Core-loks. These bullets have proven themselves over the many decades they dominated. These are still affordable good shooting factory projectiles!
It's all bullet placement and that's what makes or breaks a good kill. More expensive bullets can be used, but I believe it's a waste of money.
Anticipated recoil is one of the reasons why hunters create poor kills along with practice. It's the hunter that's the problem in most cases. Not preparing properly contributes to many woundings and many accidents in the field.
My advice, if you are not going to give it 100%, don't go hunting! Stay at home and drink your suds and dream! With that said, due to my age and a shoulder condition, on all my hunting rifles, both 308 and 30/06's, I had muzzle brakes installed. I only have 2 of each, so the cost was $800.00 for all four. This was the best thing I did for my shoulder and the animals that I wish to cull. Shooting these 30 cal. rifles, full house hunting loads is like shooting a 243 reduced load. Scorehigh gunsmithing in Albuquerque, New Mexico is the only shop I would allow to touch my rifles and they have a hunter muzzle brake that works and reduces recoil 60 to 80%. It makes practicing and hunting a pleasure. Their design is superior to others, so before you make the decision, check out the others, but remember Scorehigh is considered a reliable top notch gun smithing and design company.
This thread was a pleasure to read and I thank Art for starting it!
Matt

JimF
02-16-2014, 05:08
. . . . .My advice, if you are not going to give it 100%, don't go hunting! Stay at home and drink your suds and dream! . . . . Matt

Amen, Matt . . . . . AMEN!!!

That's the attitude I recommend for handloading ammo also!

Notice I said "handloading" . . . not "reloading"!

Replacing components in a cartridge case, without regard to details, is merely "reloading"!

We all know about the "component replacers" in the automobile repair field . . . . damn few of which are true auto "mechanics"! --Jim

bruce
02-18-2014, 05:35
Fun isn't it!!! I started w/ .38 Special and .30-06 in 1983. What a joy it was to be able to actually shoot my rifle and revolver w/o undue concern for costs! Even better, those handloads were more accurate that what I factory ammunition I could afford to buy. Now a little over 30 years later I have now just recently bought a Hornady Lock-N-Load Automatic Press. Once things slow down (I pastor four churches) that LNL will be cranking out .38 Special, .44 Special and .45 ACP and of course some nice cast lead .30-06 handloads for my 1903 and 1903-A3 rifles. These handloads are more accurate in my firearms and more economical to shoot. And... these handloads are available... rather than having to be bought at the local store which may or may not have any ammunition in stock.

Matt Anthony
02-19-2014, 02:55
Amen, Matt . . . . . AMEN!!!

That's the attitude I recommend for handloading ammo also!

Notice I said "handloading" . . . not "reloading"!

Replacing components in a cartridge case, without regard to details, is merely "reloading"!

We all know about the "component replacers" in the automobile repair field . . . . damn few of which are true auto "mechanics"! --Jim

I am going to correct your statement, " Replacing components in a cartridge case, without regard to details, is merely "reloading":

Replacing components in a cartridge case, without regard to details, is merely "a catastrophic accident waiting to happen"!
Matt

Dave in NGA
02-19-2014, 12:13
I started my reloading some fifty years ago. I've now discovered the meaing of "progressive" in my reloading. You will progress from one caliber to another. At last count I think I had 32 different calibers I've loaded. Good luck in controlling your affliction.