PDA

View Full Version : U.S. 4.2 mortar ignition round information?

bampa
02-12-2014, 07:07
Hello all,

At a show recently I bought a small box of stuff that seemed to be all U.S. WWII vintage, including some 1943 and 1944 dated Garand and M1 carbine ammo, etc. Included in the box were two round cardboard cases that each contain a live ignition round for a U.S. 4.2-inch mortar. The rounds are green and produced by Federal. The rounds and cases are in fine shape, except the top of one case is bent a bit.

Because I don't really collect ordnance, I plan to sell them at an upcoming military show, but I have no idea what to ask for them. I was able to determine what they were from an Internet search, but I have no idea if they are uncommon or even collectible at all. Also in the box were six 1944-dated M1 carbine grenade-launching rounds. I am wondering if they have any value, too.

I would greatly appreciate any information you could provide. Thanks in advance for any replies....

4F4Nam
02-15-2014, 01:22
I know nothing about them, but they are interesting. Thanks for the pix.

Ed

gijunkman
02-18-2014, 04:39
I've seen similar cartridges for 60 MM mortar rounds for sale. But it has been a while and I don't remember what they were selling for. Being that these are 4.2" seems like they would be less common. I would search on gunbroker just to see if there was anything similar.