PDA

View Full Version : Question about USGI Replacement Stock

AOK
02-11-2014, 08:31
I recently bought this stock as a USGI 1970's Replacement Stock:

http://s252.photobucket.com/user/MILRIFLE1/library/USGI%20Replacement%20Birch%20Stock

I wanted to check with some of you that are far more knowledgeable than I. It's supposed to be birch but it seems light for birch. Also, it's an M1 configuration not M2 (no M2 selector cut or pot belly). There are no markings on it that I can find except for a stamped 7 on the butt. I thought post war replacement stocks would have all been M2 configuration not M1. Any ideas or info. on makers, time period, history of M1 or M2 configuration? Or is it in fact a USGI Replacement stock? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Paul

Johnny P
02-11-2014, 04:16
A collector/dealer that I knew, now deceased, bought several cases of stocks out of Red River Army Depot sometime in the 1980 time frame. They were not pot-belly, did not have the web ahead of the receiver, but as well as I can remember did not have the selector cutout.

jimb
02-11-2014, 06:06
Looks like Beech to me. Could be a contract for Viet Nam....

AOK
02-12-2014, 12:50
It was advertized as Vietnam era military replacement, but I would have thought it would be a M2 with selector cut. I hope it is USGI. Anyone know the details ie history or manufacturer those Vietnam era stocks?

TSimonetti
02-12-2014, 03:19
Stock is most definitely birch from what I can see. Lightness of color doesn't matter, tightness and structure of the grain does. Birch can sometimes mimic walnut to some degree, especially when looking at pictures from a distance, but those same stocks usually cannot be mistaken for walnut when inspected close-up.

The metal appears to be USGI. Is there any letter code on the recoil plate?