PDA

View Full Version : Scope Mounts and Rings for a Drilled and Tapped M1922II

InTheWoods
02-10-2014, 02:01
How would I go about finding rings, mounts, and a period appropriate scope for my 1922II?

Herschel
02-10-2014, 07:24
What you need to be period correct is one of the long target scopes as made by Lyman, Litschert, Fecker, Unertl and a few others. They attach to male dovetail "blocks" that are attached to the receiver ring and barrel. The target scopes usually have the ring assemblies attached to them. There are some slight variations in the scope blocks. Some have two sharp edges on the sides of the top with a hole on the side into which the pointed end of the attaching screw fits. Others have a half moon shaped cutout on one edge of the block.

The 1922M1, 1922MII and M2 rifles made up for Sale through the DCM came drilled and tapped for scope blocks. So did the 1922M1 rifles made up for issue to DCM affiliated rifle clubs. If your lucky your rifle will have the holes in the correct location. You will need a Lyman "O" and an "E" block or a identical set of blocks made by another manufacturer. Some are being made today.

These scopes show up often at gun shows, on ebay and gunbroker. Prepare for sticker shock when you find one. A scope mounted to the 1922MII with a base attached to the receiver ring and bridge just doesn't look period correct and will have to have the bolt handle modified to clear it.

There are some long target scopes in production now but I am not sure of the manufacturers or quality.

Sorry for the long answer but your question couldn't be addressed in 25 words or less.

dave
02-11-2014, 05:40
Unertl still in business aren't they?

Herschel
02-11-2014, 10:00
Google search info shows the company closed in 2008.

Kragrifle
02-11-2014, 10:23
A fellow bought the tooling and announced the resurrection. However, this did not happen.

Peconga
02-11-2014, 11:13
Steve Earle makes the correct scope blocks that you will need http://www.steveearleproducts.com/scopeblocks.html. He does some beautiful work at a very fair price.

Unfortunately the scope situation is a bit trickier and nice ones are expensive if you can even find them loose. I've had much better luck scouring the back racks for vintage varmint rifles with a long scope still attached and buying the whole package. Re-sell the rifle sans scope, or disassemble and sell the pieces and you should end up with a nice scope for very little cost. Unless it's from a well-known maker, those old bull-barreled wildcats don't get any love in the marketplace and are basically parts guns anymore.