PDA

View Full Version : Just saw MONUMENTS MEN

Griff Murphey
02-10-2014, 04:42
Ok movie, the military stuff was pretty good no obvious awful wrong stuff. Hard to make it terribly exciting. But it was well done. Correct m-1 carbines, no bayonet lugs. An encounter with a german soldier; he was carrying one too which was squiffy, I thought.

I would recommend it, not much action but an interesting perspective on art conservation efforts by the US Army in WW-2. Some humorous moments, a few poignant in a Battalion Aid Station. Two of the team are KIA.

Looked like they dragged out all the warbirds that frequent Duxford, like one P-51, one P-47, the B-17 painted as Memphis Belle. One small glitch aviation-wise is that the French underground digs a Tiger Moth out of a barn and flies Matt Damon to newly liberated Paris. The Tiger Moth has British, not French, reggies.

usmc69
02-16-2014, 03:17
Ok movie, the military stuff was pretty good no obvious awful wrong stuff. Hard to make it terribly exciting. But it was well done. Correct m-1 carbines, no bayonet lugs. An encounter with a german soldier; he was carrying one too which was squiffy, I thought.
I would recommend it, not much action but an interesting perspective on art conservation efforts by the US Army in WW-2. Some humorous moments, a few poignant in a Battalion Aid Station. Two of the team are KIA

Looked like they dragged out all the warbirds that frequent Duxford, like one P-51, one P-47, the B-17 painted as Memphis Belle. One small glitch aviation-wise is that the French underground digs a Tiger Moth out of a barn and flies Matt Damon to newly liberated Paris. The Tiger Moth has British, not French, reggies.

Have seen pictures of German soldiers with M1 Carbines, and have read that they liked them when they could get their hands on one. Same on the Eastern Front they'd use the SVT's when they got one.

Toulgas
02-16-2014, 05:22
I visited Germany in 1975. I went to many historic landmarks, including the Bridge at Remagen, and the Koln cathedral. Besides rescuing art pieces, there was also a huge effort put into stacking sandbags around the lead glass windows and doors, to limit further damage. Sounds trivial, but this was a major undertaking to preserve German culture. Strangely, the sentiment around these monuments, by older Germans, was one of resentment and sometimes outright hatred towards the U.S. for the bombing raids. My younger brother is fluent in German, and we both looked like "locales", being blonde haired and blue eyed. He could understand every word spoken by these people. To this day, I find it bewildering. The displays at each location did nothing to assuage the general feeling either. There were "before" and "after" pictures that just seemed to deliberately provoke. At that time the war had been over only 30 years. There were many Germans who were young in the 40's and had lived through WW2. What the Monuments Men did to preserve history was inestimable, and yet seemingly unappreciated by the very country they risked their lives for....

Guamsst
02-17-2014, 06:32
Carbine was not unheard of but probably confusing to an observant novice who would wonder why both sides had the same gun. Seems like a really odd choice for this kind of movie. Tiger Moth would be a possible as well. BUT, I would almost guarantee they used it because 99.9% of the audience would never notice it and RAF DUXFORD happens to have one that is flyable.