PDA

View Full Version : Type 2 winchester oddity

GBEAR1
02-09-2014, 12:14
I was at a gun show today and saw a decent looking original Winchester type 2 M1 carbine on the table for sale. While I was looking it over I noticed an allen head set screw screwed into the left side of the receiver about where the chamber would be. Rearward of the rear of the hand guard and may-bee a little forward of where an m2 selector switch would be. Also some of the stock wood that would of been up against the screw was whittled out of the way to make a clearance. It looked like it was done with a pocket knife or something. The dealer said it was his relatives gun that was brought back from WW2. Any of you guys have any idea what this was about? I have never seen anything like it. Thanks in advance.

ChipS
02-09-2014, 04:33
It sounds like the carbine receiver has been drilled and tapped, and the stock wood relieved, for installation of a commercial scope mount - probably Redfield. The rear end of the mount would be anchored by a scew into a threaded dovetail blank inserted into the original rear sight dovetail. Ruined the carbine receiver but very common when nobody cared about collector value. Somebody spent abouit $40 in parts and $100 in labor to turn a $1500 carbine into a $600 carbine, more or less. HTH

CPC
02-14-2014, 06:17
If the story was correct.. the carbine was free, using $40 for scope and mount in the 60's and 70's when most people seemed to be modifying these types of service rifles or Winchester levers local gunsmiths were common. I think my smith use to charge about $10-15 to drill/tap and mount a scope. Not a bad hunting rifle for deer and varmits for $50-60. Heck, in about 64ish time frame I think I got my 1st carbine for 19.95. So back when it was done he actually increased the value... it was only a service rifle... but I ask myself why did everyone in the UP or northern Michigan have to drill and tap their model 94 for a scope... now that really chaps my hide... I guess it is all relative