PDA

View Full Version : Bummer

Brad in Idaho
02-04-2014, 08:01
My own fault. I bought several Mossberg M44's when CMP had them. I cleaned them up and shot most of them when I got them as was my usual habit. For whatever reason, the last one I bought in 2001 never got that treatment. It has been in the gun rack all this time, and now I have been going through some of my neglected pieces, and this one was among them. It's a nice enough rifle. It cleaned up real good. While I was cleaning and lubing the Lyman 57 MS rear sight, I noticed it had no knob for windage. The screw is there, but the knob was evidently either broken or twisted off. It must have come that way because I have barely handled it. I am in the early stages of looking for the part for this sight or a replacement sight for this rifle. I see Havlin has a new sight that replaces it, but it will cost more than the rifle did originally. I would really like to find the part and fix the original sight and stay with the Lyman, but I guess that's probably not going to happen. Anyone have any suggestions, ideas, whatever?? As a second choice, I wouldn't be totally against using a Mossberg S100 on it.

Parashooter
02-04-2014, 09:40
Did you try Lyman? The 57 is still in production and it's likely they have parts available.

Brad in Idaho
02-05-2014, 12:02
Did you try Lyman? The 57 is still in production and it's likely they have parts available.

DUH... I saw they were making a newer version of the 57, but it just didn't occur to me to ask if I could get the part for mine. I have sent them an email. We'll see what happens. Thanks.

dave
02-05-2014, 01:35
Gary Fellers 817-346-0690, sights & parts. vic@havlinsales.com, Moss parts. Try to keep the lyman, more value for the rifle. First 10,000 (I think) were made with lymans until S-100's was designed and made.

Johnny in Texas
02-05-2014, 07:08
Try this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-57-Series-Peep-Sight-Target-Thumb-Knobs-Set-Windage-Elevation-/261382035695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdb955

Brad in Idaho
02-05-2014, 07:25
Thanks, I saw those on ebay but the knurled knob looks thicker than the one my sight would use. I have another Mossberg with the Lyman sight to compare. I think those knobs on ebay might be for the newer version of the sight. They might work. I'll wait and see what Lyman says