PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a nice original Win 1890 .22, advice

HoosierNative
02-04-2014, 02:45
Im looking for a nice original Win 1890 pump .22. Any recommendations on where to look and what to look for? Would like to find one with a decent bore, nice wood, and decent amount of blue remaining. Not sure what to look for and where.

Thanks

dave
02-04-2014, 05:14
Any of the larger guns shows they can show up at. If you live in northren Ind. the Novi MI antique arms show is a good place. Most of them tho are that odd ball 22 caliber that Win. made aren't they? Also many hi-end gun stores that have large on-line catalogs.

RCS
02-04-2014, 07:12
My wife found this example in a garage many years ago and saved it for me, it was only missing a few small screws which I was able to find. Bore was alright, not mint but not burned out. It was chambered for the 22 WRA which should be avoided if you want to shoot it a lot. The early 1890's were not chambered for the 22 long rifle cartridge. Nice examples of the 1890 with nice bores will cost a lot, otherwise you can find rifles with new barrels (Numrich made repros) or new barrel liners in 22 LR that have been installed in rifles.

You can save some money with the Model 1906 in 22 LR but even these are going up in price.

Photos show the rifle that was found in a garage