PDA

View Full Version : Is this rifle worth sending the money??

JPinskey
02-03-2014, 04:31
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I am trying to do some research on this rifle before I make the purchase and I was looking for some much needed help. Today I stopped into my local gun shop and saw a 30/40 Krag on the shelf for 200 dollars. The stock is butchered up but the metal seemed to be in good shape. I spoke to one of the employee I know and he was telling me to do some research to see if the metal at the least was all original before you sink in some money for this gun. My goal was to buy the gun and put a carbine stock on the rifle if the rifle originally was a carbine. I have been doing tons of research and found that carbines are rare to find and stocks are even rarer but I need some advance. So if you guys could help I would greatly appreciate it. I posted some pictures I know they aren't the best but I hope they will help. Should I pick this up for 200 dollars?? My overall goal is to collect all of the U.S service rifles and this would be great for the collection for the right price since I am still trying to pay for college.

The stock does have a symbol on the left side.

serial # 99223
Year 1898
U.S. Springfield Armory

Dick Hosmer
02-03-2014, 04:52
Well, unfortunately, there's not a lot there. The clerk gave you very good advice.

It was once an infantry rifle, with 30" barrel, and that is not an issue front sight.

Also, though of little import in this discussion (but it will illustrate that you need sharp eyes) it is a Model 1896, not an 1898 - look closer at the stamp.

There probably is $200 in parts - and, if you wanted a real cheap hunting rifle, I'd say to go for it (but only if the bore was nice). If you are starting a collection, even a modest one, I'd save my money and buy better. You have a lot of your life ahead of you, and there are enough Krags out there to go around. A very nice, solid, piece, requiring no apologies, may be had for under $750. If I were you, I'd start monitoring www.gunbroker.com.

jon_norstog
02-04-2014, 08:59
Pinskey,

+1 what Dick said. **Only** buy if the bore is sharp and clean. The action by itself could be worth $125-150 but it would cost you some to have the rifle torn down..

Good luck!

jn

jn

dave
02-04-2014, 09:40
As Dick said, if you are a collector, as you indicated, pass!

psteinmayer
02-04-2014, 10:46
I agree also... Even as a project gun, it's been cut down to carbine length which destroys the collector value. The stock is also quite bubba'd up! Save up and buy a nice Krag Rifle!

madsenshooter
02-04-2014, 07:58
Wow, what a mess! I never realized there was that much wood could be removed from from a Krag stock forward of the receiver ring.

Fred
02-04-2014, 09:49
Leave it alone...don't buy it.

Kragrifle
02-05-2014, 06:26
RIP

Griff Murphey
02-05-2014, 07:22
Requesicat in Pacem.

How much you reckon the CMP custom shop would charge to restore that rifle to issue condition?

Bob S
02-06-2014, 10:42
I'm going to buck the system a bit here. The wood is toast, and since the barrel has been cut and original sight replaced with an '03 item, it's not worth trying to make it "look" like a military carbine. But if the bore is good and there are no other obvious problems, it would be a great "shooter" ... after you find a Bishop, Fajen or Herter's stock to drop it in. They are still out there, but you need to dig and buy wisely. You could have a blast shooting cast bullets in that thing.

The other consideration is that it's an antique by federal law, so it should be "off the grid". But I have found that some dealers will unwittingly log an antque into their books, and then they are reluctant to sell it as an antique, which it certainly is.

Just my two cents ....

Mark Daiute
02-07-2014, 01:07
I'll buck the system as well. Assuming the bore is good, troll Gunbroker till you find a good cutdown stock for the rifle and you'll end up with a wonderfull hunting rifle.