PDA

View Full Version : Broken Shell extractor for M1868 50-70 Trapdoor???

m1903rifle
02-02-2014, 06:39
Did Springfield make a 50-70 broken shell extractor. I have a M1868 rifle with the front end of a brass cartridge case stuck in the chamber.:icon_scratch:

John Sukey
02-02-2014, 08:12
You might try a shotgun bore brush from the muzzle. Not sure which gage would be a tight fit in a 50 calibre.

Dick Hosmer
02-02-2014, 09:39
No, they did not - the first (4-pronged) design came out in 1875.

I'd try a piece of spring-tempered wire, bent to a short sharp angle, or a hook made from an old knitting needle, or, perhaps you might be able to make the 45-70 extractor work, by spreading it (excessively) with a proper size rod.

You may find it helpful to remove the tang plug.

joem
02-03-2014, 04:55
I shoot a old (1882) RB in 12.75 Danish. That would be close to a 45 X 80 I think. For a broken shell extractor I use a wire brush (either 1/2 " or 3/4 ") made for plumbers to clean the inside of copper fittings. Just rotate the brush into the end of the shell, them pull it out. The broken shell will be somewhat difficult to remove from the brush and you"ll need a pair of pliers. Works every time.

blackhawknj
02-03-2014, 01:45
The lack of a broken shell extractor for the 45-70 was cited as a cause of Custer's defeat.

Dick Hosmer
02-03-2014, 02:32
Sorry, I'll have to go with a grandstanding commander (with eyes on the presidency) and WAY, WAY too many like-minded Indians all being in one area at the same time. I doubt he could have won with Spencers - and despite frequent laments, the Gatlings left behind would have been useless, unless they had delayed him by a day or two, which would have allowed the pincer movement to reach fruition.

In this vein, I am re-reading a wonderful - even though fictional - book, "The Court Martial of George Armstrong Custer". I recommend it highly.

Dan Shapiro
02-03-2014, 02:34
The lack of a broken shell extractor for the 45-70 was cited as a cause of Custer's defeat.

When research was done in the mid-90's, hundreds of fired cartridges found across the site were examined. Very very few showed any evidence of having been pried from a chamber. AND there was evidence that the Native Americans had similar problems with some of their weapons.

sdkrag
02-03-2014, 08:26
Too many Indians was the ultimate cause of Custer's defeat. He was outnumbered and out maneuvered. Once the natives had the high ground that was it. Reno's men made the high ground, forted up and held off the enemy.

John Sukey
02-04-2014, 11:23

Custer was defeated by his arrogance and stupidity. He should NOT even have been there as he was still under sentence of courts martial for abandoning two of his men!

m1903rifle
02-04-2014, 03:21
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let everyone know how it turns out, and which method worked for me.

mhb
02-11-2014, 01:23
I've never had much luck with in removing broken shell casings with brushes inserted in the chamber (which is darned difficult to do in a Trapdoor), or pushed-through from the muzzle end. But I have had very good results with cerrosafe castings in the chamber, extending a short distance down the bore, and tapped-out with a rod from the muzzle. Just plug the bore ahead of the chamber (wadded-up paper, cardboard, etc.) and pour-in the melted cerrosafe (you can easily make an impromptu funnel from paper or aluminum foil), allow it to set for a minute or so, and use a stiff cleaning rod to drive it back out, bringing the broken case with it. Always works for me, though I don't recall having tried it on a possibly BP loaded shell (possibly one of copper) which had been in the chamber for decades.
Good Luck!
mhb - Mike

joem
02-12-2014, 03:54
These plumbers wirs brushes have a twisted wire handle which can be bent then forced the brush into the broken shell. The wire bristles will expand against the case. You'll need a plier to pull it out.