PDA

View Full Version : Krag Compleat Action

RCK
01-29-2014, 11:28
A club member has a Model 1898 Krag action for sale including trigger guard and action screws. it has about 85% original finish and is excellent overall. He wants $225. Is this a fair price, or too high? If too much, what is a reasonable price?

dave
01-29-2014, 11:46
Is it all military or from a sporter? I would think an answer would depend what you intend to do with it.

jon_norstog
01-29-2014, 12:31
I'd say it is a little high. but you could do what you want with it and not feel guilty about boogering a fine old milsurp. FWIW, when I had my custom made up the 'smith charged me about $145 for the action ... $225 is where you start getting into low-end shooters. But then, at that price point it's a local market.

Good luck!

jn

11mm
01-29-2014, 12:36
Is it all military or from a sporter? I would think an answer would depend what you intend to do with it.

I agree. Restoring it to a military configuration, unless you have all the other parts (including a barrel) in hand would not be worth it, If you want a sporter, you can probably find a decent one for maybe $3-400, so it's probably too much for that, too.

psteinmayer
01-29-2014, 02:09
Well, let's start with the basics... You said Complete Action including the trigger guard and screws. Is there a barrel? Secondly, what is the serial number? If it has no barrel, but falls into the range of known 1898 Carbines, then I would say absolutely worth it. A new Carbine barrel is available from Criterion, and all of the other parts can be found (although they may be a little costly). If it does have a barrel, then I agree that $225 might be a little pricy, especially if the barrel is not great, or has been bubba-chopped!

RCK
01-30-2014, 03:37
It is a complete Krag action only, no barrel attached and it is original military, never pulled from an old sporter. I checked the serial number and it doesn't fall within the "carbine" range. I will point out some of the above comments to the owner and make him an offer. I have access to an original rifle barrel and pieced rifle stock so may try to complete something that is almost correct!

JBinIll
01-30-2014, 07:32
You can't assemble an action from parts for $225.

RCK
01-31-2014, 03:02
The action in question is already a" complete action" with all parts included, not just the receiver. All I need is a barrel, stock, handguard, rear sight, and all bands. I already have everything except the barrel and stock and I have a reliable source for those. I have made the owner an offer and should hear shortly.

13Echo
01-31-2014, 04:41
I recently bought an excellent complete action for $160. It's currently at the gunsmiths to become my walking about and hog rifle with 20" barrel and full length stock with a nice piece of walnut for the stock. I want to thank Bubba for screwing up the rest of that rifle and for messing up that high number '03 for so I can feel almost virtuous by rescuing the actions for my projects.

Jerry Liles