PDA

View Full Version : Camp Perry question

CJCulpeper
01-22-2014, 11:13
There is a slim chance I may be done with the Afghanistan sandbox by the end of June. Are people allowed to come to the match and sign up or do they need to preregister months in advance. I will not know when the firm date will be for a couple of weeks.

I've never shot at Perry even though I grew up in a county a couple hours away and thought this could be the year and not 2015.

Culpeper

M2Phil
01-23-2014, 06:51
Well, first of all here's to wishing you a quick, safe return.
Beyond that, I think it's possible that you can sign up all the way up to the day of the matches. Doesn't mean you'll get all you want, of course. When you can, email CMP and see what they say, whether or not you have to do anything to get into their system etc. But I seem to recall a few years ago that when I went with a buddy last-minute (actually a day or so before), to register him there was no problem.
Best of luck.

jon_norstog
01-23-2014, 07:00
Good luck, CJ!

jn

Maury Krupp
01-23-2014, 07:04
The biggest potential problem with a walk-on entry during CMP Week is range capacity. It's not unusual for every point on every relay to be filled.

You'd be better off with an on-line advance entry to ensure your spot. If you put something in the Remarks about being overseas and uncertain of an exact DEROS, you should be able to get a refund if it doesn't all work out. CMP is pretty understanding about those things.

Maury

SgtSki
01-23-2014, 08:28
Culpeper,

Thanks for you service and God speed.

Ski

Ernie
01-23-2014, 01:47
My experience is that there is always some slots from shooters that somehow don't manage to get to the line and get squaded in time. Morning Springfield might be difficult and morning Garand match likewise difficult but you can shoot the afternoon relays and I have never seen the line totally filled. Regarding carbine, usually there are open spots on relay 3 and 4. It would not surprise me that you can come to the line during squadding time and get a spot. If you can be flexible with when you shoot I am sure you can be accomondated. I have seen those situations every year. There are a lot of guys who go to Nationals from SW Michigan. Some have scheduled AM matches and some PM matches because AM was closed. If they really want to shoot AM they go to squading and I have not seen any of the guys I know turned away yet.

What Maury said is also very true, if you call and register on the phone you can explain the situation and I am sure that if you miss because of your service they will quickly refund your money. CMP is very understanding and flexible, almost to a fault.

Hope to hear you got on the line! Be safe and thank you!

psteinmayer
01-23-2014, 03:34
You could always pre-register, and not sign up for a match until you know for sure. Odds are that since the dates are moving to two weeks earlier than in previous years, there may be some openings because some shooters may now not be able to attend. Either way, you should be ok. It's a great time had by all... and you'll meet some great people. Hopefully, you'll get to meet some of us from this forum...

Safe travels and God Speed on your return!!!

madsenshooter
01-23-2014, 08:38
I don't think online registration will be open this year as early as it was last year. That could be because the matches are a few weeks earlier. Check the CMP website.

CJCulpeper
01-29-2014, 08:58
Thank you, Gentlemen. It looks like I will be hanging out over here until October. However I am in Semper Gumby mode at the moment since things change on a weekly basis. So I guess it will be 2015 or bust for now. I will bring the 1894 if I do shoot at Perry.

psteinmayer
01-30-2014, 12:52
Sounds great... Be glad to meet and shoot with you when you do make it... this year or next!

MAG-63
01-31-2014, 05:19
Hope you can make it Culpeper! I got back from the sandbox in August and am planning my first trip to Camp Perry this year. Hoping to shoot my 1898 Krag and 1903A3.

psteinmayer
01-31-2014, 05:54
Lets plan to get a bunch of Krag shooters to squad together this year. The Springfield Rifle shooters need to witness a line of Krags in action!!!

CJCulpeper
02-02-2014, 10:57
I'll be looking for the Krag Company HQ if I am on that side of the planet this summer.

madsenshooter
02-03-2014, 02:21
That'd be the blue 89 Volvo SW in the Viale range parking lot. LOL! I take choice parking and keep it for the duration. Mag 63, you need to shoot a Garand too, they have a combined high score trophy for the Springfield/Garand/Vintage. I'd have to get my unlimited Garand back to "as issued" before then to be eligible, and get a Springfield. Maybe I could find a loaner Springfield. Dick?

psteinmayer
02-03-2014, 01:32
So I take it we're all meeting at the Volvo this year??? LOL

But seriously, we'll all meet up and gang up on those pesky Mauser shooters! SAW comparison - Part II!

MAG-63
02-03-2014, 04:56
That'd be the blue 89 Volvo SW in the Viale range parking lot. LOL! I take choice parking and keep it for the duration. Mag 63, you need to shoot a Garand too, they have a combined high score trophy for the Springfield/Garand/Vintage. I'd have to get my unlimited Garand back to "as issued" before then to be eligible, and get a Springfield. Maybe I could find a loaner Springfield. Dick?

I don't have a Garand, but would be willing to lend the 03-A3 if someone needed it for a match. It's a very nice 3-43 Remington.

MAG-63
02-03-2014, 04:59
So I take it we're all meeting at the Volvo this year??? LOL

But seriously, we'll all meet up and gang up on those pesky Mauser shooters! SAW comparison - Part II!

Count me in! A line of Krag shooters to show the Springfield and Mauser boys "how it's done".

CJCulpeper
02-04-2014, 06:56
4.2.4 Other As-Issued U. S. Military Rifles ...Other U. S. military rifles such as the Caliber .30-40 M1895 (lever action) and 6mm caliber M1895 Lee-Navy rifle may be used.

I read the rule book for the first time in a couple of years and by golly I am happier than a tornado in a trailer park. I can shoot either one of the Winchesters! I only have to find someone to rebarrel the lever action and I am in high clover.

psteinmayer
02-04-2014, 10:50
LOL Tornado in a trailer park? You've been watching Cars!

It would be great to see an 1895 Lee Navy shooting! A '95 Winchester would be great to see too!

jon_norstog
02-05-2014, 08:47
<am,

All this talk makes me want to go, too. Good luck, guys, sounds like a good time.

jn

psteinmayer
02-05-2014, 10:55
Why don't you Jon? We'd love to have you join us too!

madsenshooter
02-05-2014, 04:34
Nice bicycle ride with a Krag on your back. Wonder how many times you'd get stopped along the way?

jon_norstog
02-06-2014, 08:58
Let's see what summer brings. I was thinking of an Italian campaign followed by an invasion of France ... but plans change.

Thanks for the invite!

jn

CJCulpeper
02-08-2014, 11:18
LOL Tornado in a trailer park? You've been watching Cars!

It would be great to see an 1895 Lee Navy shooting! A '95 Winchester would be great to see too!

This is the old winny I would be shooting if A) I was in the States and B) the chamber did not have a ring of erosion in the chamber. Not worry. Fifteen hundred bucks and time and it will some day be on the line at Perry.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee205/CJCulpeper/m1895Winchester2_zps2c2eec11.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/CJCulpeper/media/m1895Winchester2_zps2c2eec11.jpg.html)

madsenshooter
02-08-2014, 11:45
Wow! That is a looong lever throw! You'll have to dig a small slit trench underneath it to stay in your prone position, or have forearms longer than mine, which are 12" wrist to elbow. Hey, what's the pic I got to by clicking on your pic of this rifle about virgin 6mm Lee brass? Bob S. might be interested in that.

CJCulpeper
02-09-2014, 06:17
Wow! That is a looong lever throw! You'll have to dig a small slit trench underneath it to stay in your prone position, or have forearms longer than mine, which are 12" wrist to elbow. Hey, what's the pic I got to by clicking on your pic of this rifle about virgin 6mm Lee brass? Bob S. might be interested in that.

That is a project of mine that hit a big bump in the road. I had a brass maker turn out an order but the $%**$^$^#W)#$%*$ T*##$%(*#E %^($^$%(@# rotten SOB declared bankruptcy.

I am making a second attempt this year to bring it to market.

Bob S
02-11-2014, 09:00
This is the old winny I would be shooting if A) I was in the States and B) the chamber did not have a ring of erosion in the chamber. Not worry. Fifteen hundred bucks and time and it will some day be on the line at Perry.

Can you load it with a charger, maybe a Russion one?

Resp'y,
Bob S.

CJCulpeper
02-11-2014, 11:10

Resp'y,
Bob S.

I do not believe it can be loaded with a charger. It is a US marked military rifle and does not have the clip guides.

Best regards

CJCulpeper
03-11-2014, 07:22

Resp'y,
Bob S.

I found this on youtube. It would appear the only way for my model to be loaded is the insert and tilt method. Reload during the standing rapid could be a problem. Looks like I will have to make up ten dummy rounds to get the technique down to muscle memory. Plus putting a new barrel on the gun. Always something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqgupgJzPlQ

Bob S
03-11-2014, 03:04
The guy needs to learn to keep the buttplate in his shoulder when he cycles the action. And that's not going to be easy in prone.

RE: Charger loading. Where there's will, there's a way. I don't have an 1895 levergun here to look at, but a comparison with the Russion version might be instructive. The two cartridges are almost clones.

Well, if you get it wrung out, and I get my 1895 Navy wrung out, maybe we can be squaded together, and then cry in each other's beer afterward.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

madsenshooter
03-11-2014, 04:22
If the feed lips are more like the Russian model vs the lips of the rimless version the fellow is shooting, a box charger might be workable.

CJCulpeper
03-12-2014, 04:43
The guy needs to learn to keep the buttplate in his shoulder when he cycles the action. And that's not going to be easy in prone.

RE: Charger loading. Where there's will, there's a way. I don't have an 1895 levergun here to look at, but a comparison with the Russion version might be instructive. The two cartridges are almost clones.

Well, if you get it wrung out, and I get my 1895 Navy wrung out, maybe we can be squaded together, and then cry in each other's beer afterward.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Cry in our beer?! Heck. There is no crying when you can draw a breath and be shooting guns no matter what score you shoot. Besides I own two Win Lees and one is good to go. The other just needs a new bolt release. We'll be the the only two dudes shooting the Navies in 2015. The Good Lord willin'.

I will check on the reload issue in May when I get back on a short vacation.

CJCulpeper
03-12-2014, 04:45
Good point. I never would have made that connection between the two. Thanks! I need to do more research. Good thing the war is winding down and I have a little more time on my hands.