PDA

View Full Version : Krag on American Pickers

DRAGONFLYDF
01-22-2014, 07:10
and the idiots paid $1200 for a bubba job on a carbine. Rear sight looked strange and the stock have carvings on the underside of the fore end and was missing the upper handguard and saddle ring and bar.

Parashooter
01-22-2014, 09:09
. . . and was missing the upper handguard . . .

Did it have a lower handguard? :icon_scratch:

RickM
01-22-2014, 10:08
The stock protects his hand so in theory that could make it a handguard. Dont be pickin on mah buddy! :-)

Rick B
01-23-2014, 05:17
It looked as if the owner had cut off the saddle rings and either put rivets in place or buttons of sort. No reason to fake that is there? Why put the saddle ring on to do that? Rick B

Kragrifle
01-23-2014, 06:04
Hey Guys,
At least its a Krag! More on the Krag forum right now than on the 1903 site!

dave
01-23-2014, 07:57
I got bored with that show, tired of hearing how "cool" every thing is! I have never seen them even look at firearms, even when there were racks of them in the background, thought they were some kind of anti-gun kooks! Obviously they should stay away from them. Did they get it 'appraised'?

Ernie
01-23-2014, 01:51
Removed useless message.

deadin
01-23-2014, 02:22
never seen them even look at firearms, even when there were racks of them in the background

Could be because they are a commercial business and don't have a FFL

Dick Hosmer
01-23-2014, 02:53
My wife had things all set up for a visit at our house, as a "surprise" - luckily, I got wind of it and when I outlined MY security procedures which they would have to follow, and told them that nothing would be for sale, the deal fell apart real quick.

dave
01-23-2014, 03:10
Could be because they are a commercial business and don't have a FFL

I thought of that too, but this Krag was an antique?

Kragrifle
01-24-2014, 05:24
Dick
Are you serious? I actually really like this show.

Pentz
01-24-2014, 08:18
No offense to anyone here, but that is knuckle-dragger entertainment. Setting a lower bar seems to be the goal of television programs these days.

Dick Hosmer
01-24-2014, 08:47
Dick
Are you serious? I actually really like this show.

Completely serious, it was about a year ago, or whenever their California swing took place. At first I watched the show a lot, but I have also tired of the endlessly repeated phrases. It is fun to see the piles of stuff that people hoard though! Also used to like Pawn Stars, but I cannot stand Cory and Rick can be positively rapacious. Some day, I'd like to take a really rare TD, or Krag, in there, and see just what I am told.

psteinmayer
01-25-2014, 04:31
My brother went to the Pawn Stars shop a couple years ago while he was in Vegas... He said that he couldn't even get near the door!

For what it's worth, I like American Pickers cause I love to see some of the stuff they uncover... but I am routinely surprised at the ridiculous values they place on the junk they uncover! I also love watching Pawn Stars... but that's because my wife and I love seeing these idiots come in expecting to get a windfall for their crap! If you ever do go there Dick, let us know so we can enjoy the fun!!!

Ken in Iowa
01-26-2014, 06:04
When I saw that Krag and the emphasis on the serial number, I immediately grabbed my copy of The Krag Rifle Story to see if it was a Rough Rider. As we know it was not but it did add to the story line.

That '96 carbine was obviously antique, although nothing was said about that. The price paid was quite high considering the Bubba modifications.

My daughter wants to take a road trip to visit the Picker's shop in LeClaire. It's only a 3 hour drive. Rock Island Arsenal is nearby, so I think we'll go there and tour the museum. I just love that '92 Krag carbine prototype. :) I doubt my daughter would want to stay at the museum very long, but I look forward to her company.

dryheat
01-28-2014, 01:22
I hate tattoos so I can't stand seeing spots with that marked up girl.

joem
01-28-2014, 04:38
My wife had things all set up for a visit at our house, as a "surprise" - luckily, I got wind of it and when I outlined MY security procedures which they would have to follow, and told them that nothing would be for sale, the deal fell apart real quick.

Good thinking on your part. Why let everybody see what you have and give ideas to those that would remove your stuff.

Dick Hosmer
01-28-2014, 07:42
Good thinking on your part. Why let everybody see what you have and give ideas to those that would remove your stuff.

Well, it's probably too late for the what, but not for the where and how the items are secured. Anyone who has been on the internet for a while should try searching on their own name. Hint, you will NOT be happy with the result.

psteinmayer
01-30-2014, 12:40
I caught this episode of American Pickers in rerun last night. I tried to get as good a look at the carbine as possible... It was an 1896... with a 5XXXX serial number (I didn't get a good enough look at the number to get it). It was missing the handguard and original rear sight. The saddle ring plate was there, but the bar and ring was missing, and it looked like some extra screws were filling the holes where the bar should have been. The stock had been checkered in a few different places too.

In my opinion, they real idiot was the guy the pickers called, who said it was worth $2000. He told them that although it wasn't a Rough Rider carbine, it definitely was a SAW carbine, and within 5000 of the RR serial numbers. The Pickers offered $1000, and settled on $1200. It the condition that I saw, I wouldn't have paid near that much!

Dick Hosmer
01-30-2014, 05:55
Then it was even worse than has been reported - there are no carbines anywhere near 5xxxx!!

Have not seen the episode, and I really don't think I want to.

RickM
01-30-2014, 07:22
Its alright.... a guy near here wants 700 for an original carbine...... with a 30" barrel

psteinmayer
01-31-2014, 06:18
LOL Rick... that's hilarious!

Dick, it may have been 6xxxx... but I'm just not positive. I wish I could have paused it at the point they showed the serial number... One thing is for sure, the old lady and her son selling it made out like a bandit!

Dick Hosmer
01-31-2014, 07:53
Its alright.... a guy near here wants 700 for an original carbine...... with a 30" barrel

If anyone finds a "carbine" with a 26" barrel, call me!