PDA

View Full Version : Opinions re Federal 30.06 cases

Viking Guy
01-21-2014, 07:02
Gents,

I'm sure many of you read about the case head failure in the Garand on the Garand page. The likely cause was powder contamination. Secondarily, a number of folks commented regarding the quality of Federal brass as not well suited for reloading particularly in the Garand. In going through my brass, I've found I have quite a few Federal cases. In your collective opinions, should/can Federal brass be deemed safe for bolt actions i.e. Springfields, Enfields when loaded with 4350, 147/150FMJ? Or, (and I'm not opposed to this) just ditch the stuff.

In all likelihood, the brass would be full length resized and trimmed accordingly so it can be used in any rifle other than the Garands rather than rifle specific as with neck sizing only.

Would appreciate you thoughts.

VG

BudT
01-21-2014, 10:55
I would assume they are safe to use simply because Federal loads them and sells them. I have heard that they are on the soft side but I have not had any problems with them.

Tuna
01-21-2014, 12:01
I have used Federal brass off and on for years in an M1 and have never had a problem with it. In fact I had a Winchester case let go at the head this past week in my 1917 Enfield. Once fired brass case too when I loaded it and fired it. Any company can made a bad case now and then.

Parashooter
01-21-2014, 03:55
The relative softness of Federal commercial .223 Rem. cases is well-documented. I have experienced it in my own loads with such cases. Primer pockets expand to the point of unsuitability after 3 or 4 normal-pressure loads, sometimes fewer. I have neither seen reliable reports nor personally experienced any such problems with Federal .30/06 brass, and I've reloaded a fair amount of it since picking up a bunch when it was issued at Camp Perry a few years back.

Matt Anthony
01-22-2014, 03:06
The relative softness of Federal commercial .223 Rem. cases is well-documented. I have experienced it in my own loads with such cases. Primer pockets expand to the point of unsuitability after 3 or 4 normal-pressure loads, sometimes fewer. I have neither seen reliable reports nor personally experienced any such problems with Federal .30/06 brass, and I've reloaded a fair amount of it since picking up a bunch when it was issued at Camp Perry a few years back.

I look at hundreds of pounds of brass per month, and what I see a majority of is Federal brass! 300 Win. Mag and 7MM Win. Mag brass is aplenty in my scrap barrels.
Is the brass softer, I don't know that for a fact, but I will say Federal Ammo is loaded hot from the factory. I look at primers and all I see are flattened primers on these two cartridges, along with their 338 Mag brass. Punching out the primers is easy by hand and new primers are loose. This is the biggest reason why alot of reloaders refuse to buy once fired 300 and 7MM brass. Even Wolf primers seat too easily. Looking at the nickle plated 300 Win Mag, Federal did seal the primers with a red sealer of unknown manufacturer, but the proof is there, primer pockets loose on the majority! I just sold 300 cases of Federal 270 brass that was probably made in the early 70's and that brass did not have loose primer pockets nor were the primers flattened. But of late, (90's to now) I have seen more excellent looking Federal brass scraped due to loose primer pockets. Another cartridge that is prone to loose pockets are the Weatherby calibers, as I have about 600 pounds of nickle plated 300 Weatherly Mag waiting for the bone yard! This is something I see quite often and other reloaders tell me the same. Most of my friends who have these calibers, really don't need much brass anyway. Hunting they use factory and with the recoil level, don't benchrest or plink with them, so they don't get shot all that often!
Matt

Viking Guy
01-24-2014, 07:59
Thanks for the opinions. I guess I'll continue to practice safe reloading procedures and pay extra attention to primer pockets.

MoMallard
01-25-2014, 06:11
I have had Federal .223 brass in my AR drop primers (bought once fired, dropped primers 2nd firing), as well as 30/06 in my Garand (leaky primers, one dropped primer with a mild blowback). Tried the 30/06 in my 1903s. Some had leaky primers. All loads fired were in the "middle of the road" loadings, well within specs. I wouldn't chance it given that quality brass is available.

tmark
01-25-2014, 08:21
I have found that Federal brass is the least expensive of commercial loaded ammo. I have also noted that Federal brass seems to get neck splits sooner than other manufacturer brass. In other words, Federal brass fatigues faster than the other brass especially compared to military brass.

jimb
01-28-2014, 04:18
I used to have a semi-auto 1919A6. I had quite a few case head separations with it. Every one was a Federal case. I quit using them and never had another failure. I won't use Fed cases anymore.

bruce
02-05-2014, 06:34
Once upon a time I loaded a lot of .308 Winchester for a particularly accurate Rem. 700 SF-VS. Over nine years of shooting I used Remington, Winchester and Federal Gold Medal brass. The Remington brass gave very good results. The Winchester was about the same. The FGM brass would develop expanded primer pockets after two or three loads. There was no difference in the powder charge or bullet used. All brass was trimmed and sized identically. Perhaps this was only a problem w/ FGM .308 Winchester brass. But in my experience, other brands of brass are worth considering.