PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for the AR 15

JohnMOhio
01-20-2014, 09:46
According to Zediker's first book, he suggest using Winchester Brass and staying away from Federal Brass as it is to soft. Has Federal done anything since Zedikers first book was updated in 2002?

I understand Federal ammo is pretty accurate these days but wonder about the brass being suitable for reloading in the .223/5.56 Wylde chambering.

Thanks to all that respond.

joem
01-21-2014, 03:38
I don't know but all I use is Milsurp brass. It seems to hold up better that commericial brass.

Major Tom
01-21-2014, 03:50
I have heard of issues with Federal brass may be on the soft side. I, myself, do not use Federal brass at all. Like Joem said, milsurp brass is the best. I also full length size my brass for my M4 carbine. I have an older (1976) Colt AR15 and a Remington M700 in .223. I neck size for the Remington and those do feed well in the Colt.

JohnMOhio
01-21-2014, 09:02
Thanks joem and Major Tom. I also have been using milsurp brass except on my handguns. Now that I have an AR 15, and being new to it, decided to do some reading to get to know this firearm as much as I can before I jump into the reloading. Meanwhile I had accumulated from various sources some free once fired Federal brass prior to my getting the firearm. (In the past, free has always been good.) Relying on Federal being rather good loaded ammo. Other than that, if it was not a military firearm, I had always purchased Winchester brass and that turned out to be the recommendation of Mr. Zediker in his book.

JohnMOhio
01-21-2014, 09:06
Just read Parashooters remarks regarding Federal 30.06 cases. In it he states he has experienced the .223 cases as having been soft. At this point, I don't think I will be using them just to be on the safe side.

Parashooter
01-21-2014, 11:51
They're OK if you keep the pressure reasonably below maximum, at least for a few uses. Eventually the primer pockets open up and you can feel that a new primer inserts with very little effort. Aside from the risk of having a primer fall into the trigger mechanism and jam it during a rapid-fire string, there's not much hazard from this kind of gradual pocket expansion - but it is definitely inconvenient on a progressive press to have to stop and pull out a case when you feel the primer slip in too easy.

Don't think I've tried any Federal .223 cases newer than about 2002 - they may have changed since then.

BudT
01-22-2014, 07:10
John, if you do end up getting some mil surp brass be sure it wasn't shot in a machine gun the cases will be stretched to much.

musketshooter
01-22-2014, 08:25
Federal is a "one time reload" brass for me if the primer pocket is tight.

Major Tom
01-22-2014, 09:37
In addition, care of your AR15, I personally run mine "wet", that is, plenty of lube. I watch out for excessive carbon buildup on the bolt and carrier. You don't need fancy expensive tools to clean off the carbon, brass scrapers work fine. Google some AR15 forums and read what others are doing.

JohnMOhio
01-22-2014, 12:04
Thank you all for your replies. It helps an old man getting into the game a little late in life. Hope to see you at Perry this summer.

John

Johnny in Texas
01-22-2014, 03:14
I would stick with USGI LC or rem brass in 223/5.56MM ammo I know they are not the same!!!!