PDA

View Full Version : Krag on GB

Pentz
01-20-2014, 08:58
I'm no expert, but I can't agree with the condition asserted for this rifle. Refinished metal, and the sharpness of the JLA cartouche bothers me; I see impression chips. Am I wrong?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=387393482

Dick Hosmer
01-20-2014, 09:46
Pretty nice looking rifle for the price - assume you are basing refinished statement on the too-blue receiver? Note considerable worn blue remaining on buttplate. Bubba would have reblued the whole thing, not left the trap (properly) casehardened.

I think the stock is OK too, though the SWP and (P) stamp applier certainly had eaten his Wheaties that morning. Seller is not an SA expert, but I have bought from him and would recommend him as being honest and fair. Rods and muzzle protector represent at least $100-$125 of the price (at today's levels).

In short, I've seen worse for more $$$.

madsenshooter
01-20-2014, 02:17
Hope you wasn't planning on bidding on it Pentz. I've found letting others know about open auctions here can bring more attention to an item.

5MadFarmers
01-20-2014, 02:28
Arsenal refinish. Nice one.

Sling was made by Edward Raidt.

Pentz
01-20-2014, 04:57
Hope you wasn't planning on bidding on it Pentz. I've found letting others know about open auctions here can bring more attention to an item.

Oh no...Learned that lesson 30 years ago! Thanks 5MF, something just did not look right.

Kragrifle
01-20-2014, 08:27
Butt plate likely tells the story that this is an original rifle. Receiver does look a little blue, though. I vote for a nice original rifle . 5mf, real sling?

Kragrifle
01-21-2014, 05:10
Rebuilt Krag buttplates will have a blued door.

dave
01-21-2014, 06:32
It should go for more then 627---saw one at a GS Sun that was not near as nice, lots of bright parts, 1400---he's dreaming ofcourse!

Pentz
01-21-2014, 07:42
I've seen some really nice Krags; being a shooter, bore condition trumps all and my initial thrill has always been crushed upon dropping in my muzzle wear gauge and getting a "2" or more. The auctions with a muzzle gauge shown attract my attention. "Bright", "excellent" and "strong" (my favorite) are terms of art for most sellers.

Oh - and a thing about muzzle protectors. I've seen more than one rifle, in one case a drop-dead gorgeous K31, where the muzzle protector has inhibited air circulation and left a couple of inches of rusted bore. But that is just me...don't use them for storage!

Kragrifle
01-21-2014, 08:53
Also, beware of the clip on carbine sight protectors. More often than not the barrel/sight underneath will be rusted.

dave
01-22-2014, 05:44
Use RIG under the sight clip ons and you will have no rust, and helps lub it when putting it on.