PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning 'attic crud' from stock?

GerryRA
01-19-2014, 04:19
Need some suggestions for cleaning umpteen years of ‘attic crud’ from an oil finished stock.

Pretty wood with a good patina on the oil finish shows where the crud has been worn away on the wrist and forearm by handling. How can I gently remove the accumulated crud without damaging the finish?

psteinmayer
01-19-2014, 04:32
I've heard of a few others doing good with Murphy's Oil Soap...

Dan Shapiro
01-19-2014, 05:33
+Murphy's

Parashooter
01-19-2014, 05:57
In approximate order of increasing desperation (and toxicity) -

1. Warm water
2. Warm water with soap or mild detergent.
3. Mineral spirits.
4. Xylene.
5. Ethanol
6. Methanol
7. Methylene chloride

All are best applied with a soft rag dampened (not sopping) with the named solvent.

13Echo
01-19-2014, 05:58
Murphy's should work well. I tend to prefer equal parts of turpentine and linseed oil and a rough rag. A bit of 0000 pumice powder for stubborn spots and a toothbrush to get in the corners. A bit of 0000 steel wool carefully applied for really stubborn cases. It cuts the crud and the oil helps to repair the finish without harming the patina and you don't have to worry about water soaking a dry stock.

Jerry Liles

madsenshooter
01-19-2014, 09:30
I have all too much experience with methylene chloride, don't use it inside. I used to clean printing presses with it. I'd stop after work for a few beers and noticed my vision got brighter. Seems I'd stumbled on the emergency room treatment for methyl alcohol poisoning, larger doses of ethyl alcohol! I used to put my hands in the stuff, not realizing it soaks through the skin!