PDA

View Full Version : Storing powder

Busterman
01-19-2014, 07:21
I have several cans of IMR3031 from 1995 ( same lot #) and have been thinking of transferring the powder to the newer plastic bottles due to being worried about deterioration of the metal. The cans are in perfect shape and remain unopened from new. Does it make any sense to open and transfer the powder if the cans appear as new.

Major Tom
01-19-2014, 07:34
I don't know if it makes any difference, but, I have done the same thing just for peace of mind. Lids on tight and stored at 60 degrees with low humidity. Oh, be sure to mark new container with powder number, manufacturer and old date.

psteinmayer
01-19-2014, 04:44
I don't know if you would benefit anything from transferring the powder. If the original cans have been properly stored, and show no signs of corrosion or deterioration, then there should be nothing wrong with the powder inside. I just finished my last older can of IMR 4064, which was much older than 1995, and HAD been opened... and there was nothing wrong with that powder!!! If it were me... I would leave them alone.

Matt Anthony
01-20-2014, 02:32
Absolutely transfer the powder in metal cans to newer plastic ones even if the metal cans have never been opened. I can attest to the fact that regardless of conditions, there will be deteriorization of the metal due to the chemicals in the powder. I have seen it hundreds of times as I use to buy large amounts of powder from individuals and found that rust is a factor in these older cans such as the Dupont containers.
I have also witnessed an old timer clean rust from the powder by trickling the powder from the can down to a large plastic tub as a fan was blowing between the two containers. It took three times to rid the powder of the red dust. What ever numbers on the can should be transfered to the new container and these containers should be used first.
Matt

joem
01-20-2014, 04:31
I thought I read someplace that there is a law that powder had to be stored in its original shipped container, some BATF reg maybe.

psteinmayer
01-20-2014, 06:24
I think you're right Joem...

Also... for what it's worth, plastic containers (at least for IMR powders) are a relatively new thing. Metal cans, however have been around for a very very long time... and have never seemed to be a problem in the past. If they had... we'd have seen plastic containers 75 years ago. I'm just saying!

Matt Anthony
01-21-2014, 03:06
I think you're right Joem...

Also... for what it's worth, plastic containers (at least for IMR powders) are a relatively new thing. Metal cans, however have been around for a very very long time... and have never seemed to be a problem in the past. If they had... we'd have seen plastic containers 75 years ago. I'm just saying!

Metal cans have always had problems, remember this is the rusty planet! Most reloaders years ago and probably even today keep their powder in unheated garages where there is no moisture control. Improper storage techniques contribute to powder deteriorization and it's container if it's a metal container. It is what it is!
Looking at the laws, it's also against the law to exceed the speed limit, spit on the sidewalk and now it's even illegal to beat your wife! Years ago a man could beat his wife as long as the object he was using was not bigger than one of his fingers! (Note: I do endorse beating your wife or anyone, just using that as an example on laws that are on the books or were on the books)
Plastic gun powder containers in my opinion are the best thing to happen to powder storage and I doubt the ATF is going to find out you transferred powder! If you clearly label it properly there should be no problem if the container you are transferring to was in fact a powder container. Also, the world didn't have the technology 75 years ago in regards to plastic manufacturing.
I still have some treated cardboard Bullseye containers with metal bottoms that show no rust or deteriorization, but they have been stored in a controlled enviroment. Rust inside the Dupont cans is still a problem and if the powder was not stored properly you will have rusty powder! If you have any older cans, it would serve you well to dump the powder into another container and inspect the inside of each metal can to insure no rust is developing. I see this all the time as I still buy out older reloaders!
Matt

joem
01-21-2014, 03:36
I got a buy on 25 # pistol powder one time. It came in a cardboard box in a big plastic bag. I transfered it to plastic one gal. bottles and marked it with all the data.

slamfire
01-25-2014, 02:51
Matt Anthony is correct, it is best practice to transfer gunpowder in metal cans to plastic. As gunpowder deteriorates one of the by products is NOx, one by product is fuming red nitric acid gas. This is why you see rust in metal cans. Then to make things worse, rust interacts with nitrocellulose and accelerates the deterioration of the gunpowder.

Once you uncork the cans, take a look inside and post if you see little rust spots in the interior.

The only real question is whether the plastic bottle is compatible with the gun powder. Not all plastics act the same.

tmark
01-25-2014, 08:24
I have found evidence of very light rust marks on the insides of some of my 1 pound IMR metal containers after I've used up the powder during reloading.

snakehunter
01-26-2014, 12:53
I have found evidence of very light rust marks on the insides of some of my 1 pound IMR metal containers after I've used up the powder during reloading.

Me too

Jim in Salt Lake
01-27-2014, 11:30
I recommend immediately transferring that powder into brass and shooting it. Years ago, I got cans of powder from my Dad's workshop after he passed. It was all good and we shot it up instead of storing it. Some was 30 years old, it was all good. I figured it was better to use it right up and it had been stored long enough.