PDA

View Full Version : Sling Length

psteinmayer
01-18-2014, 05:40
Back last fall, I purchased a Turner 1907 sling for my Krag Rifle. At 54 inches, the sling seems to be too long. What length should this sling be? If 54" is too long, I'll put it aside and get another of the correct length. I want to have this resolved in plenty of time for Camp Perry!

Thanks
Paul

Parashooter
01-18-2014, 06:06
Depends on your body's dimensions more than the rifle's.

GerryRA
01-18-2014, 08:23
The "issue" M1907 sling has a 48 inch lupper loop. The 54 inch sling is suitable for use as a shooting sling, but will not tighten properly to the parade position. The M1917 sling is also proper for the Krag. Repro M1887 slings as used on the Krag are available on Ebay for about 25 bucks, bot they are not of Turner quality.

psteinmayer
01-19-2014, 04:30
Thanks Para and Gerry! Since I'm a bigger guy, maybe it'll work out ok. I think I'll keep it in place for the moment, but I will look into getting a 48 inch upper. Maybe I'll eventually throw the 54 inch sling on my sporter!

Thanks again!

madsenshooter
01-19-2014, 09:36
Might work out for you Paul. I have a sling on mine that will tighten up near parade position, and with the layered clothing I had on I couldn't adjust it back far enough. I like to get in a position with my head far enough back on the comb that the bolt, when fully to the rear, just touches my nose. That way I don't have to break my cheek weld through a rapid fire string. I wasn't quite able to do that with the leather jacket under my shooting coat, but I had room for another set of holes. You can't let that high quality Turner go to waste, oh I forgot you have a Garand, it won't go to waste, nevermind.

psteinmayer
01-20-2014, 06:05
LOL I have a web sling on the Garand... I don't wear a shooting coat (cause I'm just too fat), so that wouldn't be an issue... but I'm guessing the longer sling just might work out anyway! I just have to practice with it.