PDA

View Full Version : M1A1 stock, what did I find?

M1Garandy
01-18-2014, 04:01
I found a M1A1 complete stock today.

The stock in question is walnut and is complete with all metal. It is NOT cut for the M2 switch. I found no markings on the buttplate. The bottom of the pistol grip was marked SA. I could not see the entire stock as the area of the stock with the band spring and barrel channel was wrapped with OLD VCI paper and masking tape as was the rear of the stock near the top hinge. The leather was fairly light in color but the rivets had verdigris so they'd been there for a while to be sure. I do not remember if the rivets were marked.

The metal was parkerized.

If this stock is USGI, I'd call it NOS.

Any thoughts on what this stock is? A repro with some GI parts, a repro with no GI parts, a SA replacement stock (if they made them) or something else?

Thanks.

Johnny in Texas
01-18-2014, 04:19
Pics required sounds good but lots of fake stuff out there and wood could be NOS and metal refinished and cobbled together lots of possibilities.

M1Garandy
01-18-2014, 04:24
I'm afraid pics are not an option. The shop that has it won't allow phone or camera use by customers.

If it is legit, thoughts on value and era of manufacture?

Thanks.

jimb
01-18-2014, 07:13
Springfield did make replacement pistol grips for M1A1s. Check inside the slide well for other markings.

Tuna
01-18-2014, 07:56
If there are no markings on the inside of the butt plate then it's not an original but a reproduction.

M1Garandy
01-18-2014, 07:58
I may get over that way again next week and I will look again. I did look in the slide well today and saw no markings but I may have missed them. The lighting in that shop isn't ideal.

FWIW, the machine marks in the slide well of the stock I saw look just like the stock pictured in this thread: http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=47012

M1Garandy
01-18-2014, 08:01
If there are no markings on the inside of the butt plate then it's not an original but a reproduction.

If there was NEVER (late contract or otherwise) a USGI buttplate without markings, it seems like the best (or worst) case scenario is some (possibly) GI parts with some repro parts mixed in.

Tuna
01-19-2014, 08:16
A replacement stock made by SA should be marked on it SA on the left side top of the barrel channel. Replacement butt plates were never made but old ones were recycled. But the one way to be sure is to take it apart and see if there are two holes or three. Three is a repo stock. Two holes are original.

M1Garandy
01-19-2014, 08:24
Thanks, I will look there. I may have to peel back the VCI paper and tape a little farther next time.

When you say three holes is a repro, are you refering to how the pistol grip mounts to the stock body or something else? I'm afraid the odds are low that they will let me take the stock apart but you don't know until you ask.

bug
01-19-2014, 09:30
Just curious. What does the shop say it is? What are they asking $$?

M1Garandy
01-19-2014, 10:12
The shop is making no claims one way or the other. They want close to $400 for it. The counter guy knew enough to speculate that the unmarked buttplate was not likely GI but that was far as he went.

M1Riflenut
01-19-2014, 10:25
Thanks, I will look there. I may have to peel back the VCI paper and tape a little farther next time.

When you say three holes is a repro, are you refering to how the pistol grip mounts to the stock body or something else? I'm afraid the odds are low that they will let me take the stock apart but you don't know until you ask.

Yes you would have to take it apart to check this. A stock originally made for an M1A1 (real or repro) will have only two holes under the recoil plate, a stock made up from a regular carbine stock will show three as the original recoil plate hole will still be there in the middle. I actually saw one that someone had filled with a dowel and sanded and stained it trying to hide the third hole. Why they did that is beyond me as there were so many other issues with it it wasn't hard to tell is was a hump job.
IIRC, SA did make replacement grips and forearms for the rebuild program.

Tuna
01-19-2014, 07:19
Repo stock will have three holes not two. Only the original stocks have the two holes. I would suggest you do not walk away from this stock but RUN FOREST RUN from it!!!!!!!

jimb
01-19-2014, 07:33
I agree. Something smells fishy.

Stephan
01-20-2014, 06:35
I have a reproduction M1A1 stock set here somewhere(really a nice set)....seems as if the hand-guard or stock is marked 'Italy'....I'll find it this evening and see what I can find for id

They use to sell these at gunshows back in the early 90's

M1Garandy
01-22-2014, 08:07
Saw the stock in question again. I could find NO additional markings anywhere without taking it apart.