PDA

View Full Version : Sharing is caring

mr.j
01-18-2014, 07:07
I figured I share some pictures of my 1873 manufactured in 1883 serial # in 222,000 range and equipment. Been in my family for as long as I can remember. I also have a 1873 in 24,000 range I would love to share but not on hand at this moment.

John Sukey
01-18-2014, 10:22
When I was still into trapdoors (30 of them) A friend brought me a bayonet at a gun show and asked if it was original.. I said yes, and then looked at the brass swivel on it. Instead of U.S. it was marked USMC! :eek: Should have been looking instead of sitting at the table displaying my guns!!!!

mr.j
04-13-2014, 04:58
Curious on what the value would be on this rifle in this condition shown, it is fully correct and bore is very clean and shiny, stock was lightly sanded since cartouche is barley visible but there. all metal is even or below wood so I don't think it was amateur sand job the patina looks to old. it is a shooter grade rifle used but not abused.

musketshooter
04-13-2014, 07:25
The lock and hammer appear to have been glass bead blasted.

Dick Hosmer
04-13-2014, 07:46
My first comment is that the ensemble looks incredibly dry. Metal surfaces should be rubbed with an oily (or WD40) rag, with lemon oil on the wood, and Pecards (avoid neatsfoot oil or LEXOL) on the leather. As to value, I'm thinking around $500 for the rifle, since it is apparently missing the cleaning rod - which is a $100 problem. Bayonet and scabbard - $175; M1874 Infantry belt/buckle - $250, McKeever pouch - $125. So, I'd figure somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 to $1200 for the lot.

mr.j
04-13-2014, 08:55
I Cant tell if lock was glass bead blasted, the surface of lockplate is ruff looking not smooth, I figured it was from age and someone cleaning up rust with steel wool, Locplate still shows bluing, not sure if it was re-blued at some point, color of lockplate are accurate in picture. It does have the original ramrod, I removed it before I took picture and had trouble putting back in. (having the patients of looking for correct info it is Back in with no problems). I did wipe down with lemon oil in fear of cracking from dryness. Not sure how much work is left to do on this stock since it was already sanded at one point and any additional sanding will completely ruin this I feel. Maybe more lemon oil?? I didn't realize the belt buckle was worth so much btw. Is there a for sure way to tell it is not a repo?

mr.j
04-13-2014, 09:01
I did try pecard. I think all the pecard in the word wont help this mckeever pouch and belt,,,, very cracked and dry to the point I notice leather crumbling off at some spots. No holes somewhat pliable.

Dick Hosmer
04-13-2014, 12:57
I might be a little high on the accessories, especially if the belt and pouch are actually worse than they look. Don't give up on the Pecard, though. It's hard to tell on the buckle, because they have been copied, but - it looks real, however, you're a lot closer to it, and know more about where it came from. With the bad economy the market is soft right now, and things are not bringing what they used to.

The cleaning rod hole probably has some crud in it - your rifle is late enough that there should be a cleanout hole under the trigger guard.

mr.j
04-14-2014, 01:46
Metal is slightly pitting, more on the hammer though. could be why it looks like that in picture.

mr.j
04-14-2014, 01:48
Has anyone ever noticed a star marked on the two rivets on the inside of mckeever pouch?

SgtSki
04-14-2014, 05:26
I have a repro cast hammer that looks like the hammer in the picture. Take a look at the hammer closely and see if you can find seams on the under side of the nose and the back of the thumb piece as well as on the shield.

mr.j
04-14-2014, 06:58
Im sure they made repo stuff back then but not sure if it was easily available as it is now. Just might be micro pitting that gives it that look. The rifle and equipment has been in my family since I can remember and some time before that it was my grandfathers stuff. Cant really say for sure if he had it handed down to him or he purchased it at that time. I would say everything been in my family since at least 1950. I also found a old Pinkertons sign along with this rifle in same closet but cant say the two are related and not sure if my grandfather was ever a security guard.

Rick B
04-15-2014, 08:04
I would say it was parkerized at one point instead of blued. Rick B