PDA

View Full Version : Is this RIA worth $1300 ?

M1Riflenut
01-15-2014, 06:53
I'm lost on 03/03a3 rifle knowledge and values. Local gunshop has this RIA, not sure if the serial and barrel date match, it comes with a sling and bayonet so those add some value as well. I looked at it quickly a few weeks back and didn't think nothing of it but now that it's been on my mind for awhile I'm wondering if it's worth it. I do not know the bore condition or what the parts markings are, I will stop by and look at it closer this week. I'm missing a RIA from my small collection of 03's which consists of two SA 03's, a Rem 03a3 and a SC 03a3. Been wanting a RIA, maybe this is the one? The pics are from the gunshop and not the best. At first glance without much detail, do you think the price of 1300 warrants further investigation or is it too much even if it's all original? This shops prices are very high on other milsurp he has, like a worn out import garand for 1100 etc. Based on the prices I was seeing I didn't pay much attention to anything. He may come down some but honestly I have no idea what these things are worth these days.

pics here: http://s14.photobucket.com/user/M1Riflenut/library/

TDP0311
01-15-2014, 07:46
The sling, bayonet, and scabbard definitely raise the price, but for a LN receiver, it seems a bit high to me.

03Rifleman
01-15-2014, 08:12
Definitely high...and the final inspection stamp has been compromised too~ This package is also listed on GB with a buy it now of $1275.00

John Beard
01-15-2014, 09:39
The barrel and receiver are not an original combination. The rifle is a collection of parts with some "enhancement" as noted above.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

M1Riflenut
01-16-2014, 03:18
Thanks guys, very helpful info! Based on the prices I see on his other milsurp that I am familiar with, it doesn't surprise me this one is also way over priced. Looks like I'll pass on it.

jonnyo55
01-16-2014, 08:40
Pluses:

1) Finish appears original
2) Stock seems to be in nice shape
3) Nice sling and decent bayonet

Minuses:

1) 1910 barrel on 1912 receiver
2) SA stock with cartouche showing home work
3) low number receiver (never scared me, but some guys won't shoot 'em...limits its desirability as a shooter)

I wouldn't say it's WAY overpriced, especially with the accessories, but he's probably 300-400 high on it. It doesn't seem to be a bad LOOKING rifle, but original it ain't. It'd be interesting to see what kind of bolt's in it...

George in NH
01-16-2014, 12:45
M1 Riflenut,
If the Model 1905 RIA "bright blade" bayonet has not been welded back together after being "demilled", you might want to look at closed auctions for known original "bright blade" Model 1905's. You may be surprised at what some people will pay for a "bright blade". George in NH

M1Riflenut
01-16-2014, 01:51
M1 Riflenut,
If the Model 1905 RIA "bright blade" bayonet has not been welded back together after being "demilled", you might want to look at closed auctions for known original "bright blade" Model 1905's. You may be surprised at what some people will pay for a "bright blade". George in NH
Thanks George. I figured the bayo and sling had some value, maybe 300 to 400(?) but that still left the rifle in the 900-1000 range. I may still stop in and make a "lowball" offer, worse thing that could happen is a big NO. My other 1903's are rebuilds and I felt I got screwed on them at $700 and $850, that's why I asked here this time. I like the bolt guns but just never got into the finer details of them like I have with garands and carbines.

M1Riflenut
01-19-2014, 10:34
Went back to the local shop to make a possible offer on this one, it was tagged "Sold" at $1100 ! Oh well. Guess my $800 wouldn't have cut it.