PDA

View Full Version : WRA stock use question on 7.23 mil rifle

M1Riflenut
01-14-2014, 05:47
Looking for opinions on a stock use issue I have. Haven't been into carbines for awhile and I'm a bit rusty. I dug out my books and I'm still undecided on what to do !

I picked up a nice late WRA stock set, low wood oval cut with ordnance wheel on the right, no M2 cut, matching 4 rivet HG.

I have a nice WRA 7.23 mil rifle I was thinking of using it on. Does anyone know if it is correct for a 7.2 mil?
Should the 7.23 have the M2 cut or potbelly type stock, even though it's not an M2?

The stock on it now is potbelly with m2 cut, no markings other than W in the sling cut but the W is not like any other WRA stock I have. Might be a replacement?

My other choice is to use this stock on a WRA 5.75 mil I have. That rifle appears original and has an excellent no box WRA GHD stock, low wood oval cut. According to the books this stock might be a bit early and maybe I should have the ordnance wheel stock?

From what I'm reading (Ruth, Reisch) either rifle could use the ordnance wheel stock I just got, and the 5.75 could have had a GHD due to overlap? Can't seem to find much solid info on the late stuff.

Anyone collect 7 mils? What would you do?

Thanks,
Dave

wtmr
01-14-2014, 06:03
so by all means put on the 7.2 unless is a dog compared to the 5.7

M1Riflenut
01-14-2014, 07:47
so by all means put on the 7.2 unless is a dog compared to the 5.7

Both rifles in excellent shape and appear correct other than wood.
I guess my question is, did the 7.2's made as M1's come with potbelly stocks originally or was that only on M2's ?

I'll post pics of them both later this week or weekend.

Tuna
01-15-2014, 06:04
Winchester didn't use the pot belly stock so the one you have is correct for the 7.2.

M1Riflenut
01-15-2014, 05:15
Winchester didn't use the pot belly stock so the one you have is correct for the 7.2.

Thank you, I will be putting it on this evening!