PDA

View Full Version : Remington model 10 riot gun

BOB IN AZ
01-11-2014, 09:07
I have photos given to me by two different collectors. I have known one of them for some time, the other just sent me pics of his Model 10. My question to the experts on the page are.............

(1).. both serial numbers are close but yet the markings ( especially ) the Ordnance markings are quite different. Can someone shed some light on this, as I don't know enough about this subject

(2)... Can there really be two different types of marking on guns fairly close in the serial numbered range.

(3)... the gun with the most photos, I think the number is in the 149,XXX range is marked 10-A

http://s661.photobucket.com/user/THIRDHERD1965/slideshow/MYPHOTOS/REM-10

(4)... the gun with the less photos is 150084 is marked 10-R

http://s661.photobucket.com/user/THIRDHERD1965/slideshow/MYPHOTOS/REMINGTON-M10%20RIOT

thanks bob ( thirdherd1965@cox.net )

GWS
01-11-2014, 10:16
I am no expert, but the pics I looked at of the 149xxx gun show a retamped MOD choke marking, a "cut-off" barrel(no front sight???) and a 10 A marking. I did not look at all the photos, but those three tell the story for me----it ain't right! Riots were all CYL barrels marked 10R. The 150084 looks refinished(can't really tell, maybe just the pics) but the other important details seem correct. Keep in mind Remington model10 martially marked shotguns are extremely rare. Caution advised!

BOB IN AZ
01-11-2014, 10:36
GWS, thanks for your input, I couldn't even attempt to buy one now. I just like to gather as much info on this hobby and try and find out what right and what is wrong with these weapons. I did notice the 150,000 gun had serif lettering while the other did not. That was the first thing that kind of made me think about asking the forum for input.

Steve Preston
01-12-2014, 03:36
Bob, GWS is correct about the first set of pictures of 149,XXX gun. It is a made up gun and the markings on the receiver and barrel are both spurious, and were applied long after the gun was made.

Now for the good news (sort of). Your 150084 gun has a Model 10 Trench Gun receiver on it and the markings are correct for a Trench Gun, and more importantly they are authentic. The markings on the mismatched barrel of the same gun are also correct and original, however for a Riot Gun. What you have is a Trench Gun receiver, mated to a Riot Gun barrel. Both are original WW1 military marked pieces, however they do not belong together. Also a Trench Gun barrel is marked Model 10-A and should be 23" long to the chamber, where the Riot barrels are 20" long to the chamber, and marked Model 10-R.

The Model 10 Trench Guns were only martially marked on the left side of the receiver like yours, and not the barrel. The Model 10 Riot Guns were only martially marked on the barrel like yours, but they were not marked on the left side of the receiver. This is how I know your receiver is for a Trench gun. I am willing to bet that the stock on that gun does not match the serial number of the receiver because it should have a sling swivel cut into it for the Trench gun.

I will try to post some photos of my matching Model 10 Riot, and my matching Model 10 Trench, so you can compare yours for reference.

Are you thoroughly confused now? Sorry. Pictures will help.

BOB IN AZ
01-12-2014, 06:01
Steve, thanks for your time and your expertise about the Remington Model 10. Pictures will be awesome. And don't worry about confusing me, I am confused the very moment I wake up in the morning. :-(

GWS
01-12-2014, 09:07
Steve--anxiously awaiting your model 10 pics. There seems to be more confusion about the model 10 than any other military shotgun I know of. Some of the books I have that cover this model are downright confusing and contradictory! Always good to have more information about the guns. Thanks.

Steve Preston
01-12-2014, 06:12
Here is a Model 10 Trench Gun, and a Model 10 Riot Gun together, with a close up of the let side of the receivers. Notice the Trench has martial markings and the Riot doesn't. The Riot has similar markings as the Trench, but on top of the barrel. The Trench has sling swivels, but not the Riot.

Steve Preston
01-12-2014, 06:18
The Riot is marked on top of the barrel "Model 10-R", and marked "CYL" on the left side. The serial number of the receiver match the barrel, as they should. I am not sure why the barrel finish is different than the receiver finish on this gun, but they are matching.

Steve Preston
01-12-2014, 06:27
The Model 10 Trench has sling swivels on the stock and magazine tube, which requires an extra hole for the lower sling swivel screw. The magazine tube is specific to the Trench Gun for this reason. The barrel extension also has a hole in each side, for the wood handguard retaining clip to attach. The Trench Gun barrel is marked "Model 10-A" on top.

Steve Preston
01-12-2014, 06:44
Here is a comparison to show the different barrel length between a Model 10 Riot, and a Trench. The Riot is 20", and the Trench is 23". The trench barrel band is also undercut to allow for the metal retainer to slide under for the wood handguard. Originally, the receiver and barrel serial numbers should match, as shown.

These are the major differences between a Model 10 Trench, and Model 10 Riot. Hope it helps you with your questions Bob.

BOB IN AZ
01-12-2014, 08:40
Steve, thanks for all the photos. They speak volumes. For me, your cleared up a lot of questions and it all seems very simple, as far as the markings go.

Steve Preston
01-14-2014, 08:08
Glad they helped!