PDA

View Full Version : Krag bolt strength

Charlie S
01-10-2014, 02:23
I might be wrong, but years ago someone did an article on proving the strength of a Krag bolt. He had the loads used and photo of what he did. Have you any idea who this was and how I could find the write up. Thanks much.

psteinmayer
01-10-2014, 02:40
As I just posted on the KCA forum, a Krag was tested to destruction to proved the strength of the action/receiver. I have included the link:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=251923&page=2

Charlie S
01-11-2014, 08:37
Thanks Michael, exactly what I wanted.

jon_norstog
01-11-2014, 08:52
That guy removed the locking lug so he was testing the bolt rib ("safety lug") in shear. The Krag locking lug has a fairly large cross-section, compared to a Mauser and the .30 army shell is supported right up to the rim. It is a pretty good design. I am not so certain about Springfield Arsenal's heat-treating process. Krags do show up with shearing cracks at the base of the bolt lug. Why you should inspect or magnaflux any newly purchased Krag before taking it to the range.

jn

psteinmayer
01-11-2014, 07:44
One of the main reasons for cracked lugs on Krags is over-pressure. In 1898, the Army toyed with the idea of squeezing a little higher velocity our of the .30 Army round... which included the 1898 rear sight. The result was some cracked bolt locking lugs. The ammo was recalled, broke down and reloaded to standard pressures.

If you stick to established loading data, and keep your rounds below 40.000 cup, you should never have a problem.

If you are buying a Krag, it's always a good idea to have it inspected by a competent gunsmith, including inspection of the bolt locking lug for cracks!