PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with an observation

R F Hawkins
01-08-2014, 09:08
I am new to this forum but not to trapdoors. Interest started in high school when a guy offered to sell me a carbine for 15 buck, didn't have the 15 bucks. My first trapdoor was a model 66 50-70 that was in fair shape that I got for 4 spinner hub caps. Next one was a 76 cut down that I killed a cow buffalo at about 60 yards running, first thing to hit the ground was her nose 2nd was her back. Ammo was a winchester 405 grain bullet.
Now I cast my own bullets and use only BP. Shoot most of the time with a 84 with the Buffington sights. Love those sights when I can hit a pistol target at 300 yd. just by putting the sight on 300yd. mark.
I picked up a True West magizine with 100 best historical photos. In it there are some very interesting photos of trapdoors. Buffalo Bill with his 50-70 Lucretia Borgia model 66, Custer with a reworked Model 66, Yellowstone Kelly with one that has a strange cover on it. There's a photo of Geronimo with a carbine that has one long barrel for a carbine. Some of these guns could have been photo props, but I think their intersting picture of history. So if you get chance take a look. You can't love trapdoors without liking history.