PDA

View Full Version : Foyles War(small arms )

mannparks
01-05-2014, 11:43
Has any one Seen the Britt. TV show "Foyles War?
If not do your self a favor and watch.
They go out of the way to be correct with sets,props.
I was watching a episode titled French Drop. Its in the 3rd series.
And there is a wonderful p14 or m1917 sniper.
If any of you guys see this I would like to know if it looks correct too you?
Its a great show.
Charles

Alan De Enfield
01-06-2014, 09:32
Yes - its pretty good and Honeysuckle Weekes is tasty too !!!

Clark Howard
01-06-2014, 05:47
I did not see the episode you reference, but I have been following the series for several years. I have noticed that the firearms and military equipment, to include aircraft, have been very period and location appropriate. It is obvious that the producers go to great lengths to research and locate the proper weapons, equipment and vehicles for their movies. It all goes to shine the light of mediocrity and falsity on American productions, not to mention writing. It seems that our producers rely on car chases and explosions to take the place of a well written story. Regards, Clark

Rick the Librarian
01-07-2014, 12:49
I also absolutely love "Foyle's War" Michael Kitchen is especially good. I remember reading that he encouraged the producers to remove lines for him, and he can "say" more in a few words than any TV cop I know. Sounds funny, but he reminds me of Peter Falk in the old "Columbo" series. Like Falk, he gets totally underestimated - in Kitchen's case, as a burned out, bureaucrat. In the last five minutes of the episode, he chops the baddie down to size!

The "props" are, as a rule, very accurate. As I recall, the Spitfire featured in a couple of the episodes is a much later "Mark" than what would have appeared at that time in WWII, but this criticism is very minor. Great series and highly recommended!

Clark Howard
01-07-2014, 01:03
You might recognize Michael Kitchens as the character "Barkley", the friend of Robert Redford in the classic movie "Out of Africa". Of course, Meryl Streep may dim his memory in your mind, somewhat. Regards, Clark

Rick the Librarian
01-07-2014, 01:32
Kitchen also turned up as the "baddie" in an early episode of "Pie in the Sky", another English series my wife and I enjoy.

Barryeye
01-12-2014, 03:12
I am also a great fan of Foyle’s War. I find Sam (Samantha) Foyle's driver, very attractive. The kind of girl you could take home to meet mum and away for a naughty weekend.

AlanD
01-17-2014, 07:01
The length of each episode allows for complex plots and the development of the characters. The final series is being repeated here in Australia, where Foyle has joined post war MI5. In someways this is more interesting than the war time episodes.

I like looking at the old cars and hearing them, non synchromesh gear boxes!

Regards

AlanD

rayg
01-18-2014, 10:49
Just love the show Foyle and of course the driver. Just watched another episode and noticed the guards had P14 Enfields still having the volley sights,, Ray

Shooter5
01-18-2014, 08:05
Great series. Usually available at local libraries.